General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think: Is my timing belt new?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 01:11 PM
thecreek
Unregistered
Default What do you think: Is my timing belt new?

Howdy,
I just bought a used 1996 Accord EX, autotran. a few weeks ago. It has 90k miles. So I've been getting up the courage to replace the timing belt cause I have been assuming that it would need replacing. I just pulled the upper cover off. It looks 100% new: Honda name and part number on the outside of the belt are in perfect shape.
Is there /any/ chance that this would be the original belt...looking this good after 10 years?

I just rotated the engine and inspected as much as I could all the way around the built. Especially the inside surface of each belt "tooth" that bares against the pulley...as shown in the Honda Service Manual. I don't see any cracks, damage or anything.

Since it's a "Honda" belt, I guess it could be original, but in this good shape?

This is a big job for me and/or a lot of $$$.

What do you think? Is it new?

thanks!
thecreek

Old 07-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: What do you think: Is my timing belt new?

Hello.. Thecreek.....And Welcome to HAF..... if the letters on the timing belt are look new and very readable most likely the t-belt has been replaced not too long ago,,,,,,,,,,if it were the original belt the lettering on the belt would be faded out ..
any way that you can get previous records ??