General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

what mount is this?

Old 10-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Default what mount is this?

i've been working on my g/f's car, and i was just looking under the hood for something i want to do. anyway, when i looked down i saw a bolt that was loose, i tried to put it back in, but i'm thinking that it is the wrong thread and/or stripped (not the bolt, where it threads into)? the mount is near the center of the vehicle, facing the radiator (pic below). now, does that bolt thread directly into the transmission (or engine)? i guess i could pull one of the bolts above it to compare the threads (that is, if they are the same thread). thx, sos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9608276@N05/1509295644/

Old 10-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: what mount is this?

That is the bracket for the front motor mount. All of the bolt into the engine block.

I looked up the bolts on www.hondapartsdeals.com and one of the bolts has a different part number. So the bottom bolt is different than the top two.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:02 PM

Its the front motor mount bracket, jack up the tranny a little and see if you can get the bolt restarted, worse case you will need to run a tap in there to rethread the hole. I would use a flashlight and a mirror from above and move the tranny up a little and watch for the hole in the bracket to align with the bolt hole. Be carefull not to dent the oil pan if you jack up under the engine, not recommended. You may need to loosen the other two bolts there to enable some movement of the bracket.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: 2POINTautO

Its the front motor mount bracket, jack up the tranny a little and see if you can get the bolt restarted, worse case you will need to run a tap in there to rethread the hole.
thx pahonda, i'll check into that (the different threads).

2pointauto, thx as well. however, it is either stripped out (block), or the bolt is the wrong thread size (it's a fine pitched bolt). anyway, i'll have to check it out. i'll try and look into the block if possible.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Put the car on jackstands, get a wooden board and put it on the jack and jack the motor up from the oil pan. It'll take a little finessing with the jack to get it just right so you can properly line the bolt up with the hole but it works. I've done it numerous times myself.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: BlkCurrantKord

so you can properly line the bolt up with the hole
looking at the picture , and seeing that the upper 2 bolts are in and tight most likely the lower bolt is lined up as well . but i have a feeling that it is been cross threaded when being installed ,,
if such is the case, you need to remove the bracket, retap the threads and install a new bolt,, thread pitch is ( 10 x 1.25 )......Hopefully the bolt that is in there now will come out without breaking off ..