General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Cut losses and get rid of it.
40.00%
Replace head gasket - which can cause other problems.
40.00%
Replace engine with used one from salvage yard.
0%
Buy an engine from Japanese Motors.
20.00%
Have it rebuilt.
0%
Something else I haven't thought of yet.
0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

What would you do with it now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Default What would you do with it now?

I bought a 91 Accord EX about a month and a half ago. Body is immaculate, engine was supposedly rebuilt. Owned bya mechanic's kid, who bought a truck and didn't need his old car. Needed a muffler and didn't have a cat. converter. Master cylinder started leaking 3 weeks later. Started overheating repeatedly, so I took it to a shop: Failed block test = Blown head gasket.

The question is this: what would you do now?

Old 07-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Default RE: What would you do with it now?

As long as it's just the head gasket I'd repair it and just drive it

Old 07-03-2007, 12:13 PM

simple..pull the head,get it machined,,buy new gasket set and haynes manual if u need the steps on the breakdown and rebuild.Breakdown should take about 3-4hours.rebuild about the same...doin it yo self u can save a stack and learn some new s*&^

Old 07-03-2007, 04:59 PM
ranck
Unregistered

Personally, I'd replace the head gasket. Most of the problems you mention aren't going to be addressed by replacing the whole motor. The exhaust and brake cylinder issues won't be fixed with a replacement motor no matter where you buy it. If the motor that is in there was truly rebuilt, then a head gasket should fix it and it will be good for a long time. I've done this sort of job myself in my carport. It's not that hard. Pull the head, have it machined and install the new gasket. Be careful to follow the head bolt tightening pattern and torque specs. I don't know what "other problems" you expect from replacing the head gasket, but you should not really have any.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:16 PM

Depending on how much you have in it, I would definetly have the head milled, replace the gasket and drive on. If the motor still turns freely and has good compression, you'll probably end up with an overall dependable ride once you get the bugs out.