General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when should i change the ATF fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:03 AM
dejavustuff
Unregistered
Default when should i change the ATF fluid

hello, im new here and also a new owner of 2002 accord (3 weeks), i wanted to know when i need to change my transmission fluid, my car has 68,000 miles on it, i dont have contact info of the previous owner-- so dont know if it was ever changed, how am i supposed to know if it even needs a transmission flush, i dont want to listen to the dealership as they are always trying to rip u off.
And if i need to change my transmission fluid---- WHERE SHOULD I DO IT AND WHAT INOFORMATION DO I NEED TO ASK THE PERSON AS TO WHAT HE WILL BE USING TO CLEAN THE OLD FLUID OUT (i heard quiet a few stories of transmission going bad after changing oil).
Pls help ---- i am pretty new to these things. Also it will be kind enough if someone can tell me what all i need to change or replace after buying a used car. I have already changed the oil and oil filter and air filter for the engine.
I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post these questions.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Default RE: when should i change the ATF fluid

Hey - if you feel like you think you need to do it, do it - cant hurt it

Old 01-12-2008, 06:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you dont want to flush the auto tranny. just replace the fluid. you'll need to drain, refill, and drive 3x to cycle most of the old fluid out.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

This New Member board is more of a Welcome area, so your post might just get moved over to the tech area. Welcome aboard.

The tranny doesn't like to be power-flushed. Just drain & fill. The torque converter doesn't drain, so you only get about 1/3 of the total fluid. So drive around a bit & change it again - & again. If the fluid looks clean & doesn't smell burnt, just change it every 30k miles or so.

There's no pan to drop, no filter to change. Find the drain plug by putting your head down directly in front of the right-front tire. The plug has a square hole in it, for a 3/8" socket extension. It doesn't face directly down, it faces to the right, & the fluid squirts out to the right.

Refill the tranny thru the dipstick hole.

Use Honda ATF from the dealer. Many people around here have found it makes a difference. About 2.5 quarts per drain/fill cycle.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:16 AM
dejavustuff
Unregistered

thanks to you all for all the help, now know a little bit about how to do it, i have decided to buy the haynes manuel for my model and follow the instructions, i have also gone through all the various posts in this forum and have gained some good knowledge about a lot of things, thanks to all those who have created such a site where i can come now and then to share my experiences and thanks to all those who have helped me, i realize that i was ignorant about many things, but not any more.......thanks a ton once again.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:33 AM

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad to hear another person is interested in starting to perform general maintenance themselves. I will offer some words of advice for things to buy if you don't already have them:
Hydraulic Floor Jack
Jack Stands
Maybe come ramps to drive the car up on to change the oil and trans fluid without having to jack up both sides.
Socket set (Craftsman is a good brand and can be had at Sears for a reasonable price. If you buy Craftsman, you will probably never have to buy a replacement socket or wrench)
Open end/closed endwrench set (standard and metric - many bolts on Honda's are metric though - 10mm is probably the most popular size)
Oil/fluid drain pan

If you have any questions about part locations, jacking points, etc.. search the site first, then either start a thread, or PM someone like myself as I will be glad to offer any help I can give.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:17 AM

ummmm ..... from my recent experiance, I'd say never change it ....... is it a coincidence that my tranny died a week after 4 changes? Probably.

You are supposed to change it every 2 years with normal and every year with hard driving ...... 3 times if the fluid is burnt or very dirty.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:54 AM

Nevar!

Seriously though I had about 80-90k miles on the original fluid when theclutches/TQ went out, I've changed it a little more religiously since then.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 AM

nah .... I think the every other year idea is about right ..... just a bit upset still that mine died a week after a quad change.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

After owning a '95 Integra, '98 Accord, '03 Accord & '07 Civic, I have NEVER found a nut or bolt that wasn't metric.

If you're new to Hondas, be aware of one thing for the transmission oil level... Most (non-Honda) cars want you to check the tranny dipstick with the engine idling in Park. Your car wants you to check the tranny dipstick with the engine/tranny completely warmed up and TURNED OFF.