General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is my oil going?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Red face

Originally Posted by kenvollers
I have an '01 Accord EX with the 4 cyl manual with about 110k miles on it, and it is having the same problem. It runs fine, but every couple weeks the check engine light comes on, invariably for a VTEC malfunction, and when I check the oil it is always low. It still drives ok, although the first time it happened I didn't know it was oil related till the oil light finally came on a few days later and the engine started to buck in high rpms. I checked the PCV valve which was indeed very clogged and replaced it, which seemed to fix it temporarily, but it has now started happening again, just not as frequently. I'm really hoping it's not the valve stem issue, as I don't want to spend the time and money repairing that. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a mechanic and he tells me it is a common problem with these particular engines, and sometimes is something serious like a head gasket(though according to him then one should be losing coolant which I'm not). Anyway, it's becoming enough of an inconvenience where I'm about to take it in for diagnostics and hopefully it will be something I have the tools to fix myself. Before I do so though I'm hoping someone on these forums has some little trick they know for diagnosing/fixing the problem. Any luck there?
Wink, wink! I don't tell everyone this trick, but open the trunk, lift the trunk flloor, loosen and lift the tire. There's a big red button on the floorboard. Press that and everything will be just fine.

That's the answer many want. Sorry, but your question comes up in one form or another most days, and answer is always the same; diagnose the problem.

Oil is disappearing. It's either being burnt or leaked. You say no leaks, but have you looked really hard; elevating car on ramps and inspecting underside carefully.

If really no leaks, then oil is going into intake system somewhere; PCV system, excess blowby overpowering PCV and pushing oil into intake, leaking valve stem seals, leaking oil control rings, or some combination of above.

What did the observation tests I suggested earlier show?

good luck