General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wierd rubbing issue in rear wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default wierd rubbing issue in rear wheels

So Basically last time I had my car jacked up I spun the tires a little and noticed they were rubbing on something slowing them down. So i popped off the tire/brake drum and noticed that it wasnt the brake pads that were rubbing, in fact I couldnt find anything that was rubbing at all, but even with the wheel off and the drum on i could definetly feel some rubbing for about 1/5 of the revolution of the drum. (1/5 of the revolution it was rubbing against something)

So i popped everything back on and checked the other tire, and that one does it too... so is this normal? or are both my brakes/bearings screwed up?

Old 09-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default RE: wierd rubbing issue in rear wheels

i had a similar problem with my rear brakes. i could hear it when driving slow and braking right before stopping, but it didn't slow them down that much when jacked up. been told that the shoes are supposed to ride along the drums a bit. turned the drums and replaced the shoes without any luck. but there was a large amount of rust and a little mishaping around the drum. sanded a lot of rust off and tried to worked the dents out. helped a lot. still there a little. could just be warped drums. should also check that the parking brake ok.

2000 Accord SE Sedan
4 cyl.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:02 AM
Default RE: wierd rubbing issue in rear wheels

I would call it normal, as mentioned, your drums are slightly out of round, but if you dont feel as stopping force and a non stopping force bobbing your head back and forth when you apply the brakes then it is ok, you feel rubbing for about 1/5 of a rotation says that your shoes are pretty nicely adjusted, no rubbing would say they are too far out of adjustment, I would leave it alone if the drums are not all eaten up with scratches and grooves and the shoes have over 3mm of meat left on them. If the car does not bob when coming to a slow and complete stop then its ok.

The number one rule or turning drums and rotors, only turn what needs turned.