General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield washer spray weak on 1 side

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 01:00 AM
Default Windshield washer spray weak on 1 side

I could not find a post like mine so here is my problem. Odd, this has happened on my last 3 hondas with the right side sprayer.Spray is very weak on right side. I am thinking it is clogged but if that is the problem what are some good ways to unclog it? If it is another problem i figure I better listen to advice here before i make things worse. Left side is ok. I have used canned air, blowing into the little holes etc on my past cars with mixed results. Thanks in advance

Old 05-14-2008, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Windshield washer spray weak on 1 side

What year? Where are the nozzles located? Can you see the tubing leading to each nozzle - is it pinched somewhere?

Does your year have any check-valves under the nozzles or where the tubing connects?

Then I'd remove the nozzle (usually some kind of clips underneath) & use hot water to clear the crud from it.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'd just replace the tubing under the hood from where the 2 nozzles split apart.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:36 AM

DANGER WILL ROGERS.....

Before trying to remove the sprayer and the risk of breaking the plastic where the flex tube connects,

First take a normal office staple and straighten it out. It is just the right size to run up in the nozzle spray jets. Run it in and out a few times and then spray the nozzles.

Most likely, a caked-up piece of wax is in one of the nozzle jets.

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

Old 03-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Default washer pump solution- it's not the pump!

if the pump runs but there's no spray, bypass the little bellows connector at the corner of the hood. Unplug the line from the straight connector at one end and plug it into the right angle connector that goes into the fender. these are the connectors at either end of the bellows doohicky. That bellows kinks easy once old. I have a 93 accord, and just replaced the pump (which was still fine. ##*%^&#$) A great test for that "bellows" connector is to raise the hood then run the washer. If you get a nice jet of spray then the bellows connector that's supposed to flex when the hood opens is getting kinked and restricting the flow of juice.

Last edited by fixerdad632; 03-02-2009 at 10:29 AM. Reason: add more/better info
Old 03-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

get a staple ,, yep the ones you put in a staple gun, straighten it out and clear the hole in the nozzle ,, if you have access to compressed air, remove the tube from under the hood that goes into the nozzle and blow from there outward,, but the staple does a good job small enough to fit the small nozzle holes ..

Old 05-18-2009, 01:28 PM

Sorry for my slow reply. Thanks for the tips. Took the tubing off and cleaned. Also used canned air to spray through the nozzles. Still had a the problem. Then I tried the staple. That did it! Save the canned air and try staple first. Thanks again.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:52 PM
87EBBronco
Unregistered

For future reference a straight pin will do the same thing. I keep one stuck in the visor in both my Honda nad my Bronco for just this problem. Saves me from having to hunt one down when I need it.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:19 PM

I think I used a needle when i first had the problem but it did not fix it. Probably the combo of clearing tubes, canned air and the staple fixed it this time. But at least I know how to fix it now.
Funny, my last 3 hondas had that problem with weak spray on passenger side and I finally found the solution

Old 09-29-2009, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by reagd
Have you tried other auto parts washer already? Mine just got clogged after several months of wear & tear cases.
Thanks for your reply but the combo of staple and cleaning hoses took care of it.