General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

won't idle down

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:25 PM
greenray
Unregistered
Default won't idle down

i just bought a 95 accord f22b2, 5-speed, with engine and trans out. the trans was junk.put new trans on old motor back in and when i drive it the idle likes to stay at around 3000 when i shift, and when i put it in neutral wile rollin it won't idle back below 1000 until the car comes to a complete stop. also while driving if i'm barely on the throttle at cruising speed, whether it be 2nd 3rd 4th 0r 5th gear it will start to buck a little, like if you are slowing to a stop and left it in a higher gear and did'nt press in the clutch. if i excellerate it's fine, but if i'm cruisin at 2200 rpm it feels like it is'nt getting enough fuel. i replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the aic, cant
't find a vaccum leak, burped it when refilling coolant, same deal. the one thing i'm wondering about is that the kid i bought it from had a cold air intake on it, was not with the car when i bought it, so all the stock airbox stuff is gone. I NEED HELP!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

The throotle cable should have a litle slack in it to allow the throttle plate close fully.
You might have plugged up EGR ports causing a lean burn stumble, though it usually happens around 1700 RPM.
If you put vacum on the EGR valve while at idle the engine should stumble hard or stall.
EGR cleaning link;
http://www.freewebs.com/hondadude/95...5AccordEGR.htm

Old 08-03-2009, 04:01 PM
greenray
Unregistered
Default won't idle down

cleaned all that out still the same. what gets me with the idle is, as soon as i come to a complete stop, it drops back to normal. could this be some kind of sensor on the trans?

Old 08-10-2009, 08:44 AM
greenray
Unregistered
Thumbs up finally got it fixed!

Turned out being the throttle position sensor. A little tricky fixin but good learning experience, being that the tps is riveted onto the throttle body. But if you drill into the rivets about an 8th of an inch, the head falls off. Once the head falls off the holes are already threaded, so you dont have to run a tap, just get some small bolts to mount the new tps [which you can buy tps on ebay for 15 bux] got mine out of the junk yard. Honda used the same tps on all makes and models equiped with throttle body fuel injection, makes it easy on a low budget, plenty of 90-93's in the bone yard!