Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

2002 Honda Accord SE Transmission Problem

Old 05-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Default 2002 Honda Accord SE Transmission Problem

Hello All. New to the board. Wanted to get some opinions of my transmission problem.

I have a 2002 SE Accord w/144K Miles (4-cylinder, auto trans). Yesterday, my car starting acting really crazy. Whenever i am at a complete stop (stop sign or traffic light) and I try to accelerate, my car jumps and jerks something serious while it is shifting gears, I mean it will literally almost stop completely before deciding to go forward. When I am finally going forward and I accelerate on the highway, its starts making this loud noise like I am going 100+ MPH, but when I look at the speedometer I am only going 40 to 50 MPH. I am afraid to go faster because the noise is so loud. I am sure its a transmission problem because of the jerking and jumping and the problems its having changing gears. To make matters worst, the D4 lights blinks continuously and the check engine light is on.

If anybody has had this problem before, is this a transmission replacement problem or something less severe? I only plan to keep this vehicle until Sept 2012, so I am really hoping its not a replacement.

I dropped my vehicle off at the Honda dealership this morning and I am waiting to hear back from them. I will update this problem as I get more info to help others who may have this problem in the future. Any advice you guys have is appreciated as I am not a knowledgeable car person.

Last edited by mcd0009; 05-21-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The 6th gen Honda Accords (98-02) are notorious for transmission problems.

This has been well documented. It is a bad situation as you will likely need to have yours rebuilt and the rebuilds do not seem to last for as long as the original does.

Have you had your trans fluid changed as per the maintenance schedule? Every 45k miles IIRC

Old 05-21-2012, 10:55 AM

I have my fluids changes regularly as with the other upkeep and maintenance items.

Just got off the phone with the dealership. After running tests, they came back with P073, incorrect gear ratio. Since Honda doesn't repair transmissions, they said it would need to be replaced. He quoted me a price of $4k. I literally laughed out loud over the phone!!!!! My car is probably not even worth that much and since I plan on getting something else in September, there is no way I am doing that. He did mention something about a used transmission and he would have to check with parts to get me a price.

What other options do I have? I am only willing to spend $600 to $800 just to get me to September when I can afford another vehicle.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Unless you can install one yourself you will not be able to get it done for that price

Old 05-21-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by crispin
Unless you can install one yourself you will not be able to get it done for that price
Unfortunately you are correct. Time to go rent a car shopping then car shopping. I am not willing to replace or rebuild my transmission for a car I am going to replace in 3 months and the cost to do so is more than the car is worth. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:05 PM

i have a honda accord 2002 se there was water in transmission fluid my car had been overheating they said there was a leak so it was replaced overheating problem gone but transmission fluid looks pinkish like a shake what do i do

Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 PM

i have a honda accord 2002 se water is in the trasmission it looks like pinkish color like a watery shake what do i do

Old 09-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Angry 2002 accord coupe coupe transmission

i just have that transmission problem but my light did not come on at all.

Originally Posted by mcd0009
Hello All. New to the board. Wanted to get some opinions of my transmission problem.

I have a 2002 SE Accord w/144K Miles (4-cylinder, auto trans). Yesterday, my car starting acting really crazy. Whenever i am at a complete stop (stop sign or traffic light) and I try to accelerate, my car jumps and jerks something serious while it is shifting gears, I mean it will literally almost stop completely before deciding to go forward. When I am finally going forward and I accelerate on the highway, its starts making this loud noise like I am going 100+ MPH, but when I look at the speedometer I am only going 40 to 50 MPH. I am afraid to go faster because the noise is so loud. I am sure its a transmission problem because of the jerking and jumping and the problems its having changing gears. To make matters worst, the D4 lights blinks continuously and the check engine light is on.

If anybody has had this problem before, is this a transmission replacement problem or something less severe? I only plan to keep this vehicle until Sept 2012, so I am really hoping its not a replacement.

I dropped my vehicle off at the Honda dealership this morning and I am waiting to hear back from them. I will update this problem as I get more info to help others who may have this problem in the future. Any advice you guys have is appreciated as I am not a knowledgeable car person.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:44 PM

i had a feeling it just might need to be serviced

Old 09-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Angry

i had a feeling that i just need the car serviced, but non of my car is lights came on ?

Originally Posted by crispin
The 6th gen Honda Accords (98-02) are notorious for transmission problems.

This has been well documented. It is a bad situation as you will likely need to have yours rebuilt and the rebuilds do not seem to last for as long as the original does.

Have you had your trans fluid changed as per the maintenance schedule? Every 45k miles IIRC
i had a feeling that i just need service on the car