Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.
View Poll Results: A poll
I've done it & it's great.
25.00%
I've done it & it's waste of time/effort.
25.00%
It's great, adds power and mpg.
0%
It seems okay, couldn't hurt.
25.00%
WTF are you talking about?
25.00%
It's not worth the time/effort.
0%
It's worthless, bad for emissions and/or could do damage.
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Bypassing coolant from tb?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Default Bypassing coolant from tb?

As you can see in my signature, I've already done this. I'm just wondering why I haven't ever seen it come up in here.

In my mind, the concept is great. By redirecting the hot coolant from entering the tb, you could keep onecomponent of the intake system coolerand potentially keep the incoming air a degree or two cooler.

The design of it (as far as I know) is to keep the throttle blade from sticking against the tbwith metal expansionfrom colder climates. So this would be the only downside that I could see.

I did a 'touch test' of the tb before bypassing then after bypassing (both times with hot engine); and I'm not saying this with the mindset of that guy who chops off his muffler and claims he gained 20hp to justify his doing so... but I will note that the tb was almost unbearable to the touch before bypassing, now it's hot but seems not as hot.

I have found no documented increases/decreases in power, mpg, or emissions from this modification.

I guess I'm just curious .

Old 04-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Bypassing coolant from tb?

I think that it also helps reduce wasted gas in the winter from startup also.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Default RE: Bypassing coolant from tb?

ORIGINAL: falkore24

I think that it also helps reduce wasted gas in the winter from startup also.
Running a cold engine in the middle of the winter is not a good idea...

Ireversed mine.I did the mod, had erradic idle. Did the mod to correct that. Both instructions from 92lude.com. That was good for a while but coolant slowly leaked from the two joined lines. Many months go by,I check my coolant at the "min" line,I top it off and the erradic idle starts again and wouldnt go away after a few days.I reverse it, good as new again.

Idid some reading and i came upon a post by a "Super Moderator" on hondaswap.com. He said he did some datalogging on the coolant mod via track runs and normal street driving and found that it didnt make any difference at all. He mentioned those components get heatsoaked by the engine heat anyway (which is true) and after seeing the data thinks of the mod as pointless. I'd have to agree with him. If I could do it again, I wouldn't have done it and don't reccommend this mod to others. I noticed no gains and the irratic idle was very embarrassing.