Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by phantom699
I live in jersey where it rains/snows on and off, and i have never had a problem with hydro locking, but do not drive threw any deep puddles. As far as CAI compared to SRi, a cold air will get you slightly better mpg and maybe a extra 1hp.. but it takes longer for the air to get to the engine, where as a sri normally has a purr at lower rpms, but loses its benefits after 15minutes.

* i have a 3' cold air that comes in 2 pipes, works great, i can make i either a sri or cai, but i always romp it for the noise, gain maybe 3-5hp? but no benefits as far as gas

* also have a 2.25' sri made by AEM, its quieter and matchs the stock dimensions, so i have increased my mpg even if im WOT.

IMHO, changing ur intake is the easiest thing to do, but the main reason to do so is for the noise, and if u increase your intake size, then you will want to match ur exhaust size, and going more then a .25' up or dow will result normally in a loss of power
Please be advised that it is a physical impossibility for any modifications to the intake above the throttle body to improve fuel economy in a modern fuel injected engine; the ECU measures the weight of the intake charge and meters out fuel according to said weight. If you are somehow able to increase the flow into the engine for any given throttle position (something that aftermarket intakes are only marginally capabable of doing), then the ECU simply adds more fuel to keep the air to fuel ratio set properly.

With the above said, "cold air" as in truely cold air, like below 40 °F, will inhibit fuel atomization and actually reduce fuel economy.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Please be advised that it is a physical impossibility for any modifications to the intake above the throttle body to improve fuel economy in a modern fuel injected engine; the ECU measures the weight of the intake charge and meters out fuel according to said weight. If you are somehow able to increase the flow into the engine for any given throttle position (something that aftermarket intakes are only marginally capabable of doing), then the ECU simply adds more fuel to keep the air to fuel ratio set properly.

With the above said, "cold air" as in truely cold air, like below 40 °F, will inhibit fuel atomization and actually reduce fuel economy.

ehh? my accord is tuned + i have a piggy back ecu made by jdm. my increased air flow is matched by the correct ratio of air and i do get a few extra mpg

Old 01-24-2013, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by phantom699
ehh? my accord is tuned + i have a piggy back ecu made by jdm. my increased air flow is matched by the correct ratio of air and i do get a few extra mpg
The "correct" air to fuel ratio? Seriously? If your new ECU is running your engine lean enough to measurably improve your fuel economy then it isn't a matter of "if" your valve train and/or pistons will become toast, but "when".

Last edited by shipo; 01-24-2013 at 04:45 AM.