Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

cold air intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:54 PM
lawst
Unregistered
Default cold air intake questions

i have a 7th gen automatic 4cyl 2004 accord coupe.
since its an automatic, intake is probably the only thing ill upgrade in it.
im thinking about investing in one, but im not sure which one.
everything in my car is pretty much stock.
any suggestions?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: cold air intake questions

Which engine? Does it have a MAF sensor?Check theairfilter housing to see whether you have part #20 over to the right.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:12 AM
sparkinark
Unregistered
Default RE: cold air intake questions

It's worth the cash just for the increase in low-rpm torque it will give you. However, with an automatic, depends on how "soft" the torque converter is. I had to play with the vacuum lines (pinch a few) to get the car to think it's getting pull up a hill (an example, not a real thing you can change) to get it to actually get into gear before the new super-duper throttle response put it into gear only at 3700rpm, and then slowly. Felt like I was actually going slower from 0-x mph (probably was). Had to start using the manual shift to get torque converter lock to get the immediate response, which will now kick my head against the seat up the the horrible dip between torque and vtech hp. Bad V6 design. Even worse transmission and shifting, although I will admit it is terribly smooth.

Ask around first though to see what effect your year model ECM and engine will be able to do when it can breathe a huge breath of air. My 2004 V6 is overly adaptive, so it just sucks the fuel in and changes the timing, advance, etc. but not the stupid converter. I'm changing to a stiffer (#III) transmission fluid soon per an expert's advice (v6performance.net is a good place v6 chat but most advice is applicable to the I4's).

Hit a few performance shops or, especially good, see if you can find a local sports car club (they do short tracks up here and have every option on their cars available [the older guys have done this for 30 years or more] so they know exactly what's what and what's good for your car w/r/t what you want to accomplish) and have some fun too. I think it's sports car club of america (www.sccaa.org or something like that). Also, pay the low nominal fee and run a few laps with your car, especially with someone else in it who knows cars he/she will tell you what you can get, what it costs, what are good brands, and what it will do for you on the track and street).

Much fun! Beware, upgrading is addictive! Note your own computer spending over the past 10 or so years (ouch!).

Shawn Harvey / sparkinark