Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Header Installation Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Default Header Installation Help

Ok... so I'm a loser... I research everything so in depth before I even touch my car... and heres the thing... are stock gaskets reuseable in installation of new headers? I'm on the fence of which headers to buy... the dc sports don't say anything about coming with gaskets and the obx gaskets are crap, and i'm having a hard time finding gaskets that I can purchase from whatI think is a reputable canadian site...

What should I do to assure the most reliable purchase and installation?

Old 05-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Default RE: Header Installation Help

The stock gaskets are not reusable. I'd either contact a honda dealership (last resort) or just try to find one at a local parts shop or you can always call DC Sports and see if they would sell one...

Old 05-11-2007, 12:20 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

I would assume (although I hate doing that) that the DC Sports header would come with gaskets. Find a reputable seller of the DC header, call them and ask. If not, I dont see why you couldnt find a good gasket online, or you could make your own if you get a sheet of gasket material.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:45 PM

See, I really don't want to blow a gasket so I'd really love to find something that I can buy as one set and rely on... are the megan headers good? Will they come with good gaskets for a little more money thanthe obx?

Old 05-11-2007, 08:20 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

My OBX gaskets lasted for 8 months...but that was without retightening them so that was part of the problem. Anyways, just order one from your Honda Dealership as it should bolt up. The only gasket you'll need to look for online if the one where the 2 pieces of the headers meet. But you could put some red high temp silicone on both sides of it.
When I replaced both of my gaskets I usead a Felpro from Autozone $9 then bought a big sheet of Mr. Gasket gasket $10 (it was the smallest size it comes in but its good stuff and can easily make 3 more gaskets if I need them), and red high temp silicone $3. So I replaced the ones where they meet the engine, then i traced the old gasket, cut it out, put red high temp on both sides, tightened it until the red silicone comes out, let it sit an hour, then compeltely tighten it down.
Then you'll HAVE to tighten down all the nuts/studs at least once a week for a month or two. Then they will loosen less and less.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:56 PM

So for the first few months i should tighten them often and I'll be fine?

Old 05-11-2007, 09:23 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

You should be. I am assuming that is why mine blew out. But if I had to do it agian, I would just use different gaskets just to be safe.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:43 PM

I've bought the obx now... I'm going to use the gaskets that come with and tighten them once a week for the first few months and hopefully they'll last at least a year... i'll also buy a spare gasket from honda just in case... but will blowing the gasket damage anything in my car? or is it something that can be replaced after a short distance of driving?

Old 05-13-2007, 03:05 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Sounds good man.

You will be okay to drive with a blown gasket. I drove mine for about a week. It can be hard on your 02 sensors and your gas mileage will be cut by about half.