Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Header + intake but stock exhaust (muffler)???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Header + intake but stock exhaust (muffler)???

Ok, so I live in California and if you have exhaust out here, especially on imports, you become a target for the police. And for me personally, I've never really been a big fan of imports with "just exhaust" cuz, lets be honest, that high pitched empty can sound isnt the most attractive IMO. I drive a 92 LX sedan and dont really plan on doing to much motor work cuz I plan on an H22 swap in the (distant) future.

So, i was wondering what anyone thought of the idea of an intake and header but keeping the stock exhaust so not to be a giant target and still keep that "stock" look without some 6 inch wide muffler coming off the back. There is a video of a guy on youtube who put this set up on his V6 Honda and it sounded really nice. Not to overbearing, but a little more of a throaty sound then stock. I know i know i know its a V6 and its going to sound better, but I still think IMO that if I did this on my car it would give the same effect in a 4 banger version.

Has anyone done this before or know of any video clips of where I could hear what it sounds like?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure there are others that have wondered the same thing.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Supper Moderator

Got to the pnp or jy and find a f22a4 header and down pipe about 40bucks it's a great OEM header that will outperform just about any no named header and even some named cheap headers like Megan Racing. For the muffler find yourself a RSX type s muffler. They came off a k24 engine so they have more flow then our accords and it give off a better sound since it was a muffler off a "sports" car. As for the exhaust you could get one if you run 2.25' mandrel bent or 2.5' crush bent. The h22 can use that same exhaust set up.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok awesome!! i've read all over the place about using that manifold. but i wasnt sure if there were some other options.

but it looks like that what im going to be doing, just gotta find one now.

thank you!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:26 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

if you leave the stock cat it will be the bottleneck of the system

however, most people leave the stock cat but others will do a test pipe or high flow