Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Not Much I Can Do

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Banned
Default Not Much I Can Do

I have the '05 Hybrid 3.0. I have wanted to inexpensively add some pep to it since getting it new in '05. The only thing I could do, and did do, was for three years, run a K&N air filter on it. Not long ago, I discovered that using that type filter wasn't the best thing for the engine. After putting the filter up to a high intensity light, and seeing holes that can easily let dirt into the engine, I reluctantly went back to a stock filter. I am now using a Wix air filter.

Free flow mufflers -- Well, on another Honda web site, I learned the minuses would probably outweigh the pluses of having this type muffler. One person told me I would probably lose low end performance with a free flow or maybe even a turbo type muffler (this car has the "Y" exhaust system with two tail pipes and mufflers at the back.)

CAI -- None made for this vehicle.

So, that leaves me with little to think about, in wanting to add some pep to it and keep it cheap. This type car, there just doesn't seem to be any options to pep it up. It seems a hybrid might be more tricky to pep up, than a plain engine with no electric motor backup. Results could be good or bad.

If anyone has any other ideas that wouldn't clean my bank account or foul up the hybrid engine (was just in the hospital and owe both it and several doctors!), I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks-

Old 08-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Improve the suspension/handling. That'll make it more fun to drive without changing the power.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Banned

Well, if I can learn how and it isn't expensive, I will try. Does a mechanic do that stuff or what? I'm green at this stuff as you can tell. lol!

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:22 AM

suspension can be springs and shocks, or a coilover kit. it gives the car better handling and stability, and a sorta more sporty feel to it. coilovers are expensive, about 1k for a set, i would go with some kind of a shocks and springs combination.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

You can even make a very noticable improvent with just wheels & tires. What's on the car right now?

Coilovers too pricey? Springs & shocks are how much? It would help if you tell us an actual $$$ amount that you want to spend. Unfortunately, the "responsible parent" in me says you should pay off the medical bills first.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Banned

Hi, Jim. Yep, the med bills will definitely be first. The hospital statement read $24k!! Almost a new Honda price right there! We meet with the financial counselor at the hospital next Monday. It is possible, if we qualify they can pay 90% of it. That would be great!

I have some General tires on it, just got them a while back. That sure helped the road stability and handling from those. I sometimes think about putting the K&N air filter back on, but then I think about those tiny holes that could let in dirt. The dealership shop foreman told me the K&N could be letting too much air in too soon. I did have some hesitation sometimes with it, but overall, it did seem to be better. What's your thinking on K&N's? I notice you have a K&N Typhoon intake. Do they damage an engine letting in tiny dust particles or not? Just curious on your thinking on 'em.

Anyway, thanks, Jim. I may eventually get into the suspension stuff.