Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Removing the catalytic converter? or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Default Removing the catalytic converter? or not?

I just recently installed an OBX Type R 4-2-1 header (sounds and feels great), and I also ordered a generic muffler. My original plan was to cut off the old muffler & exhaust, and put on this new one, simple weld-on job which ranges from $50-85 in labor. But I was thinking of doing more than just that. Now I'm not thinking to go as far as getting an entirely new catback system with a brand named exhaust system that'll cost me hundreds (GReddy, Megan, etc), but I was thinking of removing my factory catalytic converter and parting with it for good. Of course, I will get brand new piping (same diameter as stock because my new muffler's inlet size is 2.5"). So my exhaust flow will be from the OBX header, through the downpipe, then through a straight pipe to my new muffler. Now here's the problem:

I don't know whether or not I will be able to pass inspection with this job.

I have a Honda Accord 1998 I-4 EX, and I live in New York. I know removing the catalytic converter is illegal, but is there any way to pass inspection even though I remove the cat? I do know a mechanic who does inspection and I can hope for a hook-up, but I have heard that 1995+ cars they scan something with a machine to do the inspection instead of actually check the parts? Anyone ever remove their catalytic on a 1995+ vehicle and get away with it? Thanks, sorry for the long post.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Default RE: Removing the catalytic converter? or not?

I've had my cut off, but I had the exhuast shop add the heat shield around the pipe so that it would look like there was a cat there and also weld the O2 sensor in place. But in my opinion I say keep it on, you need some back pressure.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:57 PM

During a smog check they do check the CO and CO2 from your exhaust, so if you had no cat or a bad cat then the concentrations of the gasses would be out of tolerance. But if you are caught without the cat installed, you will be ticketed or maybe even have the car impounded until it is reinstalled. If you have a hookup that's cool, but it is still a big risk. Also...your OBX headers have not had emissions compliance certification, so they are technically illegal as well.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:00 PM

That's right, the heat shield is just in case a cop looks under the car.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:01 PM

I guess I can get a heat shield under there just for the possibility of a cop looking under the car (very rare though). But still, you got your cat removed? how is it? Does it smell bad outside your car after running it for a while? How do you pass the smog test? Does removing the cat give you any performance upgrade? Or is it only to get a louder sound?

Old 05-27-2007, 10:26 PM

Well I have a 3" pipes because I have a turbo.And there is a slight smell inside the car, outside you can't really tell. For me it made a big difference because with the cat it was restricting the flow. 180 bucks is how I pass.

The first time I removed it the smell was bad, so bad my girl didn't want to ride in the car with me. Then I found out it was because the pistons were bad. Then I had it put back on with a high flow. After having theengine rebuilt and the flow restriction and was a must i pull it off.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: SKHEMR

I've had my cut off, but I had the exhuast shop add the heat shield around the pipe so that it would look like there was a cat there and also weld the O2 sensor in place. But in my opinion I say keep it on, you need some back pressure.
you dont need that much backpressure, just get a magnaflow high flow cat. theyre like $50 and 50 state legal, EPA approved. theyre just as good for emissions as oem as they arent hollowed out like ebay "highflow cats". get that, and youll have the best of both worlds.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:51 AM

What's the difference between a high-flow catalytic converter and my factory? Will changing the cat to one of the high-flows boost hp and torque? Will the exhaust sound still be at the same pitch as it would be if I didn't change my catcon?

Is this it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGNA...spagenameZWD1V