Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Resonator vs Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Talking Resonator vs Muffler

So I had commented on a close by thread but would like to start a new one steering the topic in a slightly different direction.

My 2.5" exhaust was making too much noise so I put a flowmaster muffler on it. That didnt work too well so I tried sound deadening the trunk. Still didnt work. So I'm looking into resonators. I dont even think this exhaust has one. I know they cancel out sound but imagine I would have to find one that works specifically for my car.

My other option seems to be a glass pack muffler that I can put in. So I would technically have two mufflers. One is the baffled flowmaster, the other is a straight through glass pack.

I'm looking to get rid of the drone at highway speed and rpms. What do you guys think?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:46 PM

I gotta stop being so impulsive... but yeah I went ahead and did it so quick. I bought a thrush glasspack for pretty cheap. About $20 and had it installed. Stupid mechanic charged more than originally quoted but oh well. That in combo with the flowmaster muffler I get a great, smooth sound but dont have as much of a drone at highway speeds. Still sounds like a performance exhaust though. Its nice but I kinda miss the intimidating exhaust. Mechanic said its hard to believe the same sound that comes outa his vintage corvette came outa my lil 4 cylinder. And thats with a clean exhaust, no holes at all.
Just some info for anyone who needs anything. Disregard my question.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 AM

if your car was stock.. and all you did was replace the muffler.. then it should have either a resonator or a mid muffler, after the flex pipe/cat. since your exhaust seems to be loud theres neither resulting in drone because of the noise between the cat/muff. glasspacks seem to wear out quickly and i would of suggested putting a hotdog resonator in. will decrease drone and keep a " louder then stock" sound from the muffler.

* the reason ur exhaust is deeper in tone is due to a bigger exhaust pipe. if you also have a after market intake, if you matched it at 2.5 or went to 3', then it would be deeper.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:53 PM

2.5" Exhaust

Aftermarket with a magnaflow cat, 421 header and flowmaster muffler. I put an f23 intake manifold.

This is resolved though. My car is quieter and the glasspack had great reviews, including its durability.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Administrator

So where is our picture to see what you did.?

Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 PM

Ill take a pic. My exhaust has 4 different brand components :P

Old 05-22-2013, 03:30 PM

Resonator keeps strait pipe sound but reduces drone and volume, muffle quiets , basically same thing and gives a muffled sound, atleast that's how it works in the diesel world could be different in Honda

Old 05-22-2013, 05:54 PM

This is from a while ago. I found a resonator might have been better for draining out the highway drone but at this point it mostly depends on how the car is doing. Too late now. When its lost performance due to some reason, it gets loud.