New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2003 Accord - needs new clutch kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 05:18 AM
Default 2003 Accord - needs new clutch kit

hello all! New member here and I have a question if anyone can help... I just bought a 2003 Honda Accord manual trans with 200K on it for $1,000 but it needs a new clutch kit installed (I knew this prior). Does anyone have any recommendations for what clutch kit I should buy and how much is labor cost for replacing it? I looked at repair pal but their estimate of $1,400 seemed a little high in my opinion. Any help is appreciated thanks guys and gals!

Old 02-09-2018, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Honda uses LUK clutches as their OEM; I just bought a full LUK kit for my Acura, dual mass flywheel and all from Advanced Auto. The total cost for the parts was about $420.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the info! Did you install yourself?

Old 02-09-2018, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Not yet; probably won't. Why? Two reasons:
  1. I have a very full schedule these days and simply don't have the time, and
  2. The clutch system used for the J-Series V6 motors uses a self-adjuster mechanism in the pressure plate which needs to be set during installation. The tool necessary for setting the self-adjuster springs is something like $1,000, and I haven't found anybody in the area which will rent me the tool.
I don't know A) whether you have an I4 engine or a V6, and B) whether the I4 cars with manual transmissions also incorporate a self-adjuster as part of the pressure plate, but if it does, you would do well to find a shop with the tool on hand to set the adjuster.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by shipo
Not yet; probably won't. Why? Two reasons:
  1. I have a very full schedule these days and simply don't have the time, and
  2. The clutch system used for the J-Series V6 motors uses a self-adjuster mechanism in the pressure plate which needs to be set during installation. The tool necessary for setting the self-adjuster springs is something like $1,000, and I haven't found anybody in the area which will rent me the tool.
I don't know A) whether you have an I4 engine or a V6, and B) whether the I4 cars with manual transmissions also incorporate a self-adjuster as part of the pressure plate, but if it does, you would do well to find a shop with the tool on hand to set the adjuster.
WOW, I did not know about the adjuster. Learned something new today.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Disclaimer: my comments are regarding the V6 clutch; I've only seen the clutch system for a 4-Cylinder 2003 Accord in pictures (and there doesn't appear to be a self-adjuster mechanism on that pressure plate in said pictures).

Funny thing about the adjuster; some shops will tell you setting it at clutch installation time is unnecessary; they usually state one of the following two reasons for their claim:
  1. The pressure plate is preset at the factory
  2. The pressure plate will self-adjust once installed
Here's the thing, it is true the self-adjuster is set at the factory, however, there is nothing in the mechanism which will prevent the spring loaded mechanism from slipping when the pressure plate is bumped and jostled during shipping. The pressure plate I took delivery on came in a box which looked no worse for wear (meaning it was handled reasonably gently), however, the springs for the self-adjuster mechanism were fully extended (they are supposed to be fully compressed at installation time).

While the self-adjuster mechanism is designed to "self-adjust", it only adjusts one way which effectively compensates for clutch wear. Said another way, the mechanism was never designed to back itself off if the clutch material suddenly got thicker, and as such, if the mechanism is not set correctly, the new clutch will burn out in only a few thousand miles.