New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

99 Accord - keep or move on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Default 99 Accord - keep or move on?

Own a 99 Accord and have no problem with it. I have, however, put between $1,000 - $2,000 dollars in maintenance every year. Timing belt, tranny flush, plugs/wires/rotor, you name it.

Quick side rant: Every single time I take it in to the dealer for an oil change, they of course have a whole list of things that need done. Like today, I took her in for an oil change they also wanted to replace the battery, clogged pcv valve, clean rear brakes, and replace the tires (I did the battery and pcv valve for now). I understand dealers are in the business to make money and they always seem to replace those things I have no way of confirming whether they are truly in need of being fixed.

So all that said, although my car runs fine, she has 146k miles and I put about 12k/year right now (at the most). I have been itching for something newer but feel it's a waste. What do you guys think? I've heard plenty of stories about Hondas running much longer than mine, but I do not want to deal with anymore maintenance or future breakdowns. For the record, she never breaks down...likely because of the maintenance.

I'm torn between buying something new and keeping it for ten years like this one, or keeping what I have for another few years. Anyone made the decision lately?

Old 08-13-2011, 12:10 AM

Dude it all depends on how you feel about the car. I have one that I got at 192,XXX in december and I already have her at 206,5XX. I've put 2 grand easy into her and have a decent list of things to fix from the power steering pump to the timing belt in about 5 thousand miles. Even though I have to put a lot of money in the car I want to keep it because I like it.

What you need to decide is weather or not you like the car enough to keep it for years to come. P.S. dealers rape people for almost all their services and even though they give you a list of things that are wrong according to their standards, that doesn't mean that its always in dire need to be fixed. I mean they wanted to charge me 24 bucks to fix my blown license plate light lol

Old 08-13-2011, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Not is it always fixed to the dealers standards , but is more likely to the factory
recommendations instead.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Did that $24.00 take care of the price of the license plate bulb also?

Old 08-13-2011, 01:02 AM

You do have a point. I wouldn't mind having a lot of things on the car brought back to factory specs.

I have no idea. When I went over the report that came with my oil change, the second I saw 24 dollars for replacing the light bulb I just closed the book and laughed. Most likely that would cover the cost of the bulb too, but being a dealer they would try to suck every penny out of me. lol.

I know to replace one axle at the dealer they would want to charge about 724.00 before tax.