New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

First Honda

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Default First Honda

Hi, I just got a one owner Accord, 2006 with the 2.4L motor. I am loving this car, it rides so nice and for the first time I got over 800km out of a tank of gas. The only thing it lacks is passing power, but getting good mileage makes up for that. I have read the manual and one thing I'd like to know is how the on board computer works with maintenance codes. Will it tell me when the antifreeze needs replacing? The oil change info is obvious, just wondering about other items. Also the manual shows how some cars have an outside air temperature feature. I can not get that to show up on my car. I am wondering if I can get a temp sensor for that and plug it into my car to get this feature...anyone do that here? Thanks.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:05 AM
Administrator

Thank You for joining the HAF..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 09-09-2014, 01:02 PM

Hello Forgiven4ever,

Congratulations, you now have a car that can take a beating, and keep on going.

I have a 2007, yours and mine are the same.
Mine is an Standard Transmission, I don't prefer automagic.

Any-who,

The maintenance system is amazing.
In your book you will see some pages called "Maintenance Minder".....
On one of those pages, is a grid, that shows you a Code, and the maintenance to be performed, if they dash has that code. Something like this.
On your dash, there is an Yellow Wrench Icon that will appear if it needs work done. Also, there is a screen you can flip too. When you change the display to Trip A or Trip B, there is another display for Maintenance. When at this screen, you can see the Oil Life %. However, even if the wrench isnt showing, you can see if anything needs to be done. Turn the key to "on", with the oil life % displaying, hold down the **** for a long period of time, and it will blink the maintenance codes for you to check the book for. DO NOT hold down the **** after that, it will reset the codes, thinking that you performed the maintenance. Which, after you do the work, such as an oil change, that is what you do to let your car know you did the work its requesting.

Since you purchased the car used, i would recommend the following, as i own the same accord, just +1 year newer.

Coolant replacement - There is a **** at the bottom, no tools needed, none.

Brake fluid replacement - There is a neat kit that does this, with little hoses and such.

Transmission fluid replacement - Get the Honda Genuine fluid, its typically in a silver bottle.

Spark plug replacement - NGK LASER IRIDIUM - These are what the cars are built with.
These are the best plugs, my accord works best with these, even the $40 plugs dont work as well. More than likely, this will do the trick on the power issues.

Last but not least, Fuel Injection cleaning never hurts.

Temp Sensor problem, if your talking about this thing, and you have fog lights, its a no go. The cars only came with one or the other. However, I have seen people install both. Here is the install manual. - & Part. is on that page.

All in all, my '07 Accord is my first Honda, I love the MPG and the durability.
Now, my Wife drives an 2013 Accord (yes, we have two accords)
I also purchased this bad boy.

I went from one Honda, to 3 Honda's
My mother in law bought a new Pilot, so did my sister.
My aunt bought a new CR-V, and my brother bought a new odyssey for his wife, he also bought a Civic for himself on the same day.

I am the one who started with a Honda, its then moved on to family and friends.
Long story short, you have a great car, that only asks for basic maintenance.

Enjoy.

- Jason

Last edited by posativJ311; 09-09-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:33 PM

Thanks for a great reply Posativ. I don't intend to beat on this car, it would be boring compared to my Camaro. I must say it does handle better than I was expecting. Yes that sensor kit is exactly what I want, and I do not have fog lights! I will look into getting that and installing it before winter. Just one question, will the computer recognize the new temp sensor and automatically display it as in your photo? The parts guy here was kind of clueless when I asked him about doing that, he felt there may be a need for extra programing of the computer for it to show up. This was a one owner car, she said the tranny oil and antifreeze was done at 75,000km and it has 93,000km now...so just wait for the wrench to light, yes?...I should ask her if she took it to Honda all the time for service. I am on top of replacing the brake fluid, an often neglected item. I sucked all the old stuff out of the reservoir, added the new fluid then start with the rear brakes running a clear hose to a bottle, gravity does the rest, I am in no hurry and it is a fool proof way to do it as long as the front reservoir is kept full.
When you say fuel injection cleaning do you mean an additive to help keep injectors clean or a Honda service? Thanks again....Mike

Old 09-12-2014, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

You can try to go to one of the online dealers (bernardi Honda) and look up the sensor kit. Many times there is a pdf of the instructions you can download and read through, it will give you any details about any programing that might need to be done?

Honda Outside Temperature Guage (Accord) - Bernardi Parts

Old 09-12-2014, 01:09 PM

Hey Forgiven4ever,

Like the Brake fluid, the injectors are overlooked as well.
I recommend taking it in for a professional injection cleaning.
Accord-ing to Honda (pun intended), its to be done at ~120k mileage.
I had a slight performance issue with my car not too long ago.
Put new plugs in it, had a shop do a fuel system\upper cylinder cleaning, and it did the trick.
As far as the maintenance goes, this is what i do.
"hmmm, I am at 20% oil life, i will change the oil this weekend"
So, to know what else it needs, i hold down the ****, and check the code it gives.
Then compare it to the book. Sometimes its a belt, sometimes its a simple tire rotation.

The only time the wrench will come on, is if you get pretty close to needed maintenance of an item, such as a belt or an oil change. It will come on at 15% oil life.
I have been known to change my oil at 5% a few times. I typically change my oil at 20% or maybe 10%.
You don't have to do the typical 3k miles or 3 months with these Honda's.
Honda engines are tough as nails, they can more than handle 7k-12k miles on synthetic, depending on engine demand over the life of the oil, since your last oil change.

You can wait until the wrench comes on, but you don't have too.
You can always check the codes before, or you can wait.
Once the wrench does come on, it will show the code on the screen as default.
You can typically drive another 250 miles or so before you get to 5% oil life.
I get slightly concerned at 5%, although, i have seen people go to -10% with no problems.

Hope this helps.

- Jason

Last edited by posativJ311; 09-12-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the info on how to check codes before the wrench light comes on Jason. I am thinking that because I can not tell the computer I put synthetic oil in the motor I may as well just use the stuff Honda sells and let the computer do its thing. Oil is relatively cheap and I do intend to change it before it goes to 0%. I really like this car a lot and do intend to take care of it. Winter is coming here fast. The tires are worn and will be replacing with winters soon. Then will be looking for a good used set of summer rims and tires, perhaps a bit taller and wider than the stock 205/60/16's that are on it now. 17" take offs would be nice to get...Thanks again for the input you guys.