New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Fresh to the forum with a VIRGIN 99 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 03:14 AM
Default Fresh to the forum with a VIRGIN 99 Accord

I have a 99 Accord EX 4dr (purple) which I call the "virgin" due to the fact that it only has about 40k miles on it!

It has the 2.3 VTEC ULEV Engine (I believe 155-160 hp), auto trans, and is fully loaded with awesome leather seats, which I dont see too often in Accords from this generation. My mom is going to start driving a 2006 TSX (60k miles) since my stepfather probably wont be in work much longer.

The only issue is that my mother did not drive much. The battery had to be changed last September after it got screwed up from sitting too long. Everything is original on this car, except for the brake pads and rotors, and every time I look under the hood, it reminds me of a time capsule. I think the last 3k miles my mom drove it, took her 2.5-3 years! Basically I need to go through everything on the Accord just to be safe, but down the line I may consider a light turbo at 8-10lbs, but I dont get the idea that the auto trans is particularly stout.

The car has a few issues with the check engine light on, and at idle, if you feather the gas pedal it will shake and sometimes stall. If you stab the gas it goes away and revs normally, and drives fine without pinging or any missing, but it does probably use more gas than it should. I will have to post new threads in the forum pertaining to my problem, if I cant find what I need by searching. This car has a good deal of room under the hood, and is pretty easy to work on. I had an older beater 1985 Prelude with the dual carbed 1.8, and under the hood it was tough with the millions of vacuum lines criss-crossing all over the place, which was for the emissions system and was a nightmare to work on certain things (I wanted to cry when I replaced the clutch in that car). That car impressed me since it was beat up, but mechanically it was great even at 200k miles and took me everywhere reliably until someone with a new Mercedes totaled it. I had a 93 Thunderbird at the same time with a 347 stroker motor custom built (446hp at the crank with a LOT more room for more power with better tune) and was a lot of fun before it was stolen back in 2004. My trusty old Prelude never let me down, and allowed me to get around just fine while working on my Tbird.

I currently have this Accord I mentioned, along with a beater 1995 Ford Taurus 3.0 which I'm selling, and a 95 Lincoln Mark VIII which is the very car the Mustang Cobra gets the engine from (newer Coyote engine is based on this particular Lincoln motor) - Its all aluminum 4.6 32v quad cam with variable valve timing (7200 rpm redline) at close to 300hp stock, but with intake, exhaust and slight tune I'm pushing 364hp at the rear wheels. The engine is strong from idle, but after 4k rpms its downright wild. The Mark VIII is basically a Thunderbird SC that is lighter (3900lbs), has airbag suspension, and is classier than my 4200lb Tbird I had. Most people tend to look at it as an old man car, but this model was different, as Ford engineers took a model similar to mine to Bonneville salt flats with a roll cage and deleted the speed limiter, and took it to 182mph otherwise stock.. Otherwise it tops out a little over 150mph in stock form.. I love surprising the hell out of people with it!

Last edited by 99Accordi4; 01-21-2015 at 03:17 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

There is nothing "light" about 8-10 pounds of boost; that would destroy your transmission in short order, in fact, 2-3 pounds of boost would probably be enough to toast your transmission. Long story short, if you want to play with adding forced induction to an Accord, sell your car and buy one with a manual transmission. Better still, sell your Accord and buy something designed to be faster from the factory.

Last edited by shipo; 01-21-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:32 PM
Administrator
Talking How About This One ?

Originally Posted by shipo
There is nothing "light" about 8-10 pounds of boost; that would destroy your transmission in short order, in fact, 2-3 pounds of boost would probably be enough to toast your transmission. Long story short, if you want to play with adding forced induction to an Accord, sell your car and buy one with a manual transmission. Better still, sell your Accord and buy something designed to be faster from the factory.
New Member..Welcome to the HAF.

Here's a good car to Hot Rod around with..my choice of course..

Attached Thumbnails Fresh to the forum with a VIRGIN 99 Accord-audi-s8-2014-2015-pic3.jpg  
Old 04-10-2015, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
I see - So in this case 8lbs would not be a good idea. I am thinking of it a little differently because of my Lincoln Mark VIII (4.6 Cobra 32v engine), where 6-8lbs would be minimal, and up to 12lbs would be max for stock. The motor on that car can handle up to 700hp before you need to beef up the insides. In this case, Ill probably just do a few simple bolt-ons, and a quality chip of some kind. I dont want the car to buzz around though, I would rather have it as close to stock sounding as possible.

Ill post my next question for the bolt-ons in the main forum section, now that I am all introduced

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
New Member..Welcome to the HAF. Here's a good car to Hot Rod around with..my choice of course..
Thank you! I am happy to be here, and happy that there are honest people here! I asked this question about forced induction, and everybody was telling me to **** it and go for higher boost than I mentioned originally (since the engine has only 44k miles on it), along with all this other crap that would make the engine/exhaust buzz loud. I dont want to do anything, that will decrease the reliability of this rock-solid car...

It looks like my mom is signing the car over to me, so it will be my reliable daily-driver, and I will probably just play around with my Lincoln which is essentially a fancy Thunderbird SC with air suspension, Cobra engine, and slightly different look, and with a few super simple mods its pushing decent power with basic tune, and very basic bolt-on parts for air intake. It has highway gears so it runs low 14's, but with trans upgrades and rear end gears and limited slip update it should easily do upper 13's.

I am going to clean up my Accord this weekend hopefully and finally get some decent pics!

I will see you guys in the main sections!

Old 04-11-2015, 12:29 AM
Administrator

We will all be waiting to see your pictures..

WheelBrokerAng .