New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to the Site (haven't commited yet to car need help)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:22 PM
gsxthurman
Unregistered
Default New to the Site (haven't commited yet to car need help)

I am trying to sell myself on buying a 1988 Honda Accord LX. I talked him down to 3k for it he wanted 4k for it. It strikes me as steep for an '88, but the vehicle was previously owned by an old lady and the car has 52,000 miles on it. I test drove it today, and it seems like a pretty good car. I am just curious as what I should be looking for when it comes to these vehicles.

I am looking for something to drive everyday to and from a Military base. Military parking lots aren't the kindest to cars, and I just bought a brand new truck. I am looking for something very dependable, and easy to work on. I previously owned a 1998 Eclipse GSX, and that was a nightmare sometimes to work on. Any advice or pokeing or prodding would be welcomed. Also if you need a Carfax report just pm me and I will run it. I have it for another week.

Thanks for the insight.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Default RE: New to the Site (haven't commited yet to car need help)

Is it a '98 or an '88? I am going to assume you mean '88 because if it was a '98 selling for $4k I would be all over it!
I have a 95 V6 model and a 2000 4cyl LX model. They are not too hard to work on, and in my experience they arevery dependable. My advice to you would be to browse a Haynes manual at your local AutoZone or check out one of the free online manuals we have listed in the DIY section of the site. I am not familiar with the '88 model so I cannot give you any specific advice.
There are some great members on here who know a TON about Honda's. We have a few Honda Techs as well. Enjoy your stay and browse around. I know I had fun reading as many threads as I could when I first found this site.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:42 PM
gsxthurman
Unregistered

I changed the year on the first part, good looking out. Thanks for the advice. I am reading as much as possible about these cars atm. I am going back tomorrow to test drive it again. The AC wasn't blowing very cold when i drove it today, but it probably just needs a recharge/conversion to r-134.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:17 PM
FDfristlady
Unregistered

well i own a 90 accord ex and i love it .......they are VERY easy to work on. my AC just went out too and i just recharged it and it works like a champ! my accord has 200,000 miles on it and it still runs great.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the joining up of the HAF, happy to have you in here with us..Soon as you do get that car, post all about it in the section below your post ...say like the way 00AccordLX5spd has above at the bottom of the post of his...
Good luck with your car work...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 07-12-2007, 05:18 PM
gsxthurman
Unregistered

So 3000 isn't too much for an '88? I don't think he will go any lower. I have commitment issues I guess LOL. Oh yeah, will do on your advice WheelBrokerAng.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:46 PM
FDfristlady
Unregistered

well im not sayin that 3000 is a great price........but if you dont know someone who is gonna personally sell it to you thats gonna be the price your gonna get.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:54 PM
gsxthurman
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: FDfristlady

well im not sayin that 3000 is a great price........but if you dont know someone who is gonna personally sell it to you thats gonna be the price your gonna get.

Good point. I am gonna go test drive it again tomorrow, and give it the weekend to decide.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:09 PM

$3000.00 for that car in MINT condition is about retail value in KBB. Personally I think that's a bit high but for that car it may not be, if it runs and drives just great and looks great then I'd probably buy it.... I paid $3300.00 for my 94 with 135,000 miles on it....and some minor paint issues etc.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Administrator

I also believe that $3000 is a might too much for an 1988 car even if it's almost cherry. There are much newer cars in your own neighborhood that will probably cost you even less. You'd better really make sure that car is really what you want before you committ that money .

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]