New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

UNBELEIVABLE! 0 ppm emissions output 93 Accord

Old 02-15-2018, 02:39 PM
Default UNBELEIVABLE! 0 ppm emissions output 93 Accord

I guess my preventative maintenance has paid off! I live in California and my 1993 Honda Accord with 280,360 miles on it passed a ASM emissions test Which is not unusual for a well maintained car. And the emissions tests here in Cali are quite stringent! Believe me... they are happy to fail your car if EVERYTHING is not in working order. But the unusual thing about my car is it passed the 25 mph test with 0 ppm emissions output for the NOX! (check out the attachment with this post) And this car has been through a flood! I have NEVER been in the engine or transaxle! I have been in the distributor a couple of times, replaced the timing belt and other odds and ends but Never in the engine. Now if this is not a DAMN GOOD CAR!!!!! I guess I don't know what i'm talking about!

Attached Thumbnails UNBELEIVABLE! 0 ppm emissions output 93 Accord-img125.jpg  
Old 02-15-2018, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rick_b23 View Post
I guess my preventative maintenance has paid off! I live in California and my 1993 Honda Accord with 280,360 miles on it passed a ASM emissions test Which is not unusual for a well maintained car. And the emissions tests here in Cali are quite stringent! Believe me... they are happy to fail your car if EVERYTHING is not in working order. But the unusual thing about my car is it passed the 25 mph test with 0 ppm emissions output for the NOX! (check out the attachment with this post) And this car has been through a flood! I have NEVER been in the engine or transaxle! I have been in the distributor a couple of times, replaced the timing belt and other odds and ends but Never in the engine. Now if this is not a DAMN GOOD CAR!!!!! I guess I don't know what i'm talking about!
Sorry, not buying it. I agree a 1993 Accord is a fine car, but 0 PPM for NOX, not happening. If anything, the test was done incorrectly or the equipment doing the testing was faulty.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:55 PM
Default I hear ya

I know what you mean I really don't believe it either but look at the VIR

Old 02-15-2018, 03:01 PM
Default Oh and the dark marks on the VIR

are where I highlighted those parts with a yellow highlighter marker before I scanned the VIR

Old 02-15-2018, 03:41 PM

As Shipo mentioned... hes not buying it. I can understand that. BUT the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) who is control of the emissions tests is VERY **** about the test equipment used for the smog tests. ESPECIALLY the "TEST ONLY" stations. They have redundant system checks consistently at all smog check stations. I highly doubt if there was a equipment malfunction. And the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) gets the information back from the smog test equipment even before the Smog Tech at the test station gets it back. It is very hard to modify or fake a test.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Equipment fails; fact of life. Sooner or later the testing equipment you had your car tested on will get recalibrated/repaired.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:28 PM

Yes, I understand that but... the BAR is on it consistently . Look at all the readings on the VIR. The readings all make sense

Old 02-15-2018, 07:46 PM

I apologize that you don't believe it. My car is burning CLEAN! As clean as it possibly can! And it is because I maintain this car by the book. I also have a 1991 Chevy Full sized truck k1500 4x4 with a 5.7 ltr. 350 5 speed manual transmission that also passed the California emissions test with unbelievable readings! And it has 242,722 miles on it. And I had my truck done the day after I had my Accord done AND at the same smog station. Check out the attachment with this post

Attached Thumbnails UNBELEIVABLE! 0 ppm emissions output 93 Accord-img127.jpg  
Old 02-15-2018, 07:52 PM

So as you can see I don't think there was a equipment failure or malfunction. The chances of both vehicles were read wrong would be astronomical.