New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

What to look for when buying a used Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Default What to look for when buying a used Accord?

Hi all,

I am looking for a used 2008-2010 Honda Accord in the EX-L with an automatic transmission. I am looking at both the coupe and Sedan and I am wondering what to look for when inspecting a used Accord in the years I mentioned above. I am looking to buy one from a private owner but I am also looking at one from a dealer. If you know any common problems are anything to really look for please let me know. Also let me know if the two body styles drive any differently? I am planning to get one with the 4 cyl engine. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

There isn't any real "watch out fors" on these.

The 4 cyl use a timing chain that needs proper oil level to not wear early, so any kind of good history on regular oil changes (any car really) is a plus.

If the car is an auto trans car - you also want some kind of history on the trans fluid changes.

Some in this year range....some, had an issue with oil usage because of the rings on the pistons. Under a settlement Honda has agreed to terms for a settlement, don't know/remember all of the details off the top of my head. Again, don't take that as "don't ever buy one", just be aware of it and IF you run into the issue know how to address it.

Other than that, the normal "kick the tires" and that. If you are not really into cars, many shops offer a "buyers inspection" for a small fee (~$75 ?) where they will inspect the car and give you feedback.

Thanks for joining HAF and good luck with the search.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:11 PM

Thank you for your reply. I most likely plan to get it checked out by a third party shop. Do you think a Honda dealership would work to? Also under the settlement, will they/ did they fix the problem?

Old 06-10-2016, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mbereck
Thank you for your reply. I most likely plan to get it checked out by a third party shop. Do you think a Honda dealership would work to? Also under the settlement, will they/ did they fix the problem?
I normally use manufacturer dealerships for these inspections especially if I don't know a good independent mechanic. They usually know what to look for in their brand cars, haven't had a bad experience doing this yet.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search. We love pics here, share some when you have a chance.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:58 AM

Welcome to the forum, Mbereck

When it comes to comparing the coupe to a sedan, it is simply a matter of personal choice. The coupe has distinctive body lines (especially the rear) while the sedan offers entry/exit convenience for passengers... in my opinion, both body styles have similar handling capability depending upon which tires are mounted