General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 Accord lx wiper issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 08:04 PM
Default 2005 Accord lx wiper issues

I am havig issues with my wipers not turning on. I replaced the wiper motor, switch, checked fuses, tried under hood fuse box from junkyard. I am getting power to the motor, tried grouning the motor with a jumper wire and changing out the new motor and switch with second new ones but nothing. The washer pump works fine. There is a click in the under dash fuse box when turning the wipers to any position but thats it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2005 Honda Accord LX 2.4 AT

Old 10-22-2017, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

The 05 accord has body error codes that get stored and can indicate problem. They start with the letter B and have four numbers, like B1234 that are specific to Honda. You may want to stop by an autoparts and have them read codes. Their scanner may be able to read the body codes. It is free and worth a shot.

The wiring diagram is kind of confusing. The shop manual has some tests you can do at the wiper switch at the steering column. With the switch plugged in, you will have to back-probe the connector to measure voltage. Use a good ground for you volt meter.
Blk wire should have less than 1 volt.
Wht/red wire should have 12V all the time.
Yel wire should have 12V with the key in the II position.

I'll take a closer look at the shop manual to give you some other suggestions.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Which wires at the wiper motor have power from your testing? Have you checked the #11 fuse in the under dash fuse box? It is a 30 amp fuse.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Which wires at the wiper motor have power from your testing? Have you checked the #11 fuse in the under dash fuse box? It is a 30 amp fuse.
I will have the car checked for codes tomorrow. The green wire on the motor plug is hot when the switch is turned on, I think it comes from the 30 amp fuse from in the under dash fuse box. I also back probed the ground/ black wire from the plug on the motor and grounded it and still nothing when turming on the switch. It seems as if the breakdown is between the switch and motor.
Do you kmow if the relays above the under dash fuse box are related to the wipers?

Old 10-23-2017, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

There are other wires that go to the wiper. Can you test the voltage on each and post back? Test for voltage with the wiper switch set to low and high. I'm not in front of my normal computer, so I can't look up the wiring in the shop manual.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:26 PM

There are other wires that go to the wiper. Can you test the voltage on each and post back? Test for voltage with the wiper switch set to low and high. I'm not in front of my normal computer, so I can't look up the wiring in the shop manual.
I had the car checked for codes with a friends reader and at Advance Auto and neither one had any "B" codes. There was only an emmisions code. I tested the volts to the motor plug in all postions and only had 12.3 v on the green wire and 11.15 v on the white wire each time. I did another continuity test with the key switch on this time and in the high position on the yellow wire was showing .01 resistance. The blue wire on low read .01 resistance. Any other thoughts?

Old 10-24-2017, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

The yellow wire should have 12V to ground when the key is in the II position. Just want to verify you tried testing for voltage with the key in the II (normal run position).

The yellow wire runs from the under hood fuse box to the wiper motor. The connector for the under hood fuse box has a max of 5 wires and is U-shaped. The yellow wire is at the bottom of the U. Check continuity (resistance) between the yellow wire on the wiper motor and the connector to the fuse box.

Also, check the #21 fuse (7.5 amp) in the fuse box under your dash. See the pic below for the fuse location.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:50 PM

The yellow wire should have 12V to ground when the key is in the II position. Just want to verify you tried testing for voltage with the key in the II (normal run position).

The yellow wire runs from the under hood fuse box to the wiper motor. The connector for the under hood fuse box has a max of 5 wires and is U-shaped. The yellow wire is at the bottom of the U. Check continuity (resistance) between the yellow wire on the wiper motor and the connector to the fuse box.

Also, check the #21 fuse (7.5 amp) in the fuse box under your dash. See the pic below for the fuse location.

Problem FIXED! I went ahead and took the second motor off lastnight after the diagnostics I ran with the meter and exchanged it out for a third reman motor. Put it on this evening and it turned on and off as it should. Re-installed the wiper arms and thet worked as they should. The only issue I am having now is getting the arms to rest in the park position. When turning them off, they come up about 6 inches from the normal park position. When turning them on, they drop 6 inches or so then up then back to 6 inches above the normal park position. What now?

Edit: wiper arms are set to the correct position and everything is back to normal. I would not recommend reman wiper motors from Advance Auto Parts. Autozone and O'rileys get theirs drom the same manufacture. It'll be NAPA for me from now on.

Last edited by J_shepherd; 10-25-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:14 PM
Default Wiper issues

How did you fix the wiper arms to the correct off position. I am having the same issue on my 2005. Had an aftermarket wiper motor put in now the wipers work but won’t go to the off position. Thanks

Old 01-15-2020, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

If the motor and linkage park properly, then all you do is loosen the nut holding the wiper arm to it's shaft. Position the wiper correctly, then tighten the nut.