Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Any cons for adding larger wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Default Any cons for adding larger wheels?

Hey, I'm new to this forum and had a question about wheels. I've heard some people say getting larger wheels are a bad thing for some reason or another... anyone know why?
Does it make the car handle/perform bad or something?

I'm looking to get a new 5-speed 09 coupe sometime this month or early next month! I haven't decided between the LX-S, EX, or EX-L yet, although cost is the main issue, but regardless of which one I get, I want to put 19's on it for sure. So yea... any information would be appreciated!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Any cons for adding larger wheels?

ususally heavier which means slower. depending on the tire size usually causes the speedometer to be off. Can increase steering response. Once again depending on tire size, usually means a rougher ride.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You want to maintain the same rolling diameter of the original tire. This usually means less sidewall and less sidewalls equals more energy from bumps being transferred to the chassis equaling a rougher ride or damaging wheels. A pro to less sidewall is generally less tire roll during corners and increased cornering speeds.

19 is about as big as you can go. If I were to put anything bigger on my stock car I would definitely want to beef up the suspension to deal with more stress on the components (heavy duty shocks, maybe stiffer springs, definitely thicker sway bars)

Old 12-08-2008, 02:54 PM

I don't mind a rougher ride all too much, I think I can deal with that and eventually get over it.

Regardless, I'm more into the appearance of the car, not necessarily its power, although I do want to add a CAI sooner or later. And since it'll be an I4, I won't be doing any street racing or what not. lol I'm more of a driver enthusiast and want to actually FEEL like I'm driving, hence manual transmission it'll be my first stick car btw. (that has pros and cons of its own..)

I want to make the car have an aggressive look to it, so maybe if I just get 18's and lower the car a little, it'll have a good effect? This is my first time mod-ing a car...I've always had stock cars and never looked into any of this stuff. It's all new to me.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:57 PM

Then stick around! Weve got a lot of good guys on here that mod and can answer questions fairly quickly.

i think 18/19 would look great, the 8th gen Accords have bigger wheel wells than the older ones and I think bigger rubber so you can probably max out at 20 inches.

I'm currently dropped about 2.5 in the front and 2 in the back... rides like a dream

Old 12-09-2008, 02:05 AM

being dropped 2.5 and 2 inches...doesn't that make the tires rub up against the car? how big are ur wheels?

Old 12-09-2008, 07:00 AM

I am dropped 2.5 all around and my wheels dont rub(unless a severe ditch in the road).. 17s by the way. 245/35

Old 12-09-2008, 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Clutch34

being dropped 2.5 and 2 inches...doesn't that make the tires rub up against the car? how big are ur wheels?
Not necessarily. I have the stock steelies and correctly sized tires on. The factory wheels all have a high offset, like +55mm, so it tucks them in pretty nicely. If I were going to run a 225 or 235 tire, I'd need a lower offset (+40mm or so) so the tires wouldn't rub on the suspension, but I'd risk rubbing on the body and have to roll or cut the fenders.