General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 accord VSS question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:39 AM

Hey guys just thought I'd provide an update.

So the problem is ongoing. It's been in the shop for a week now and the guy got everything wired up correctly, according to the diagrams. He was gonna charge me 200 for that. He said someone really did a number on it and really screwed up the wiring. But after he completed that the car wouldn't start. So now he has to investigate that issue. This has been a real pain and inconvenience for me. I trust the guy I think, he seems to be honest but if the car isn't starting now I don't know how correctly his wiring job could have been done.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update.

Hope the starting issue is a simple fix.....working in that area of the car, I'd re-check the ground on the t-stat housing....it is the main ground for the ECU so if it is not on/loose it will cause all kinds of issues.

Attached Thumbnails 91 accord VSS question-4th-gen-main-ground.jpg  
Old 07-15-2015, 12:11 PM

Got Another update. Believe it or not this thing still has not been fixed. Been in the shop for 3 weeks now. The mechanic is telling me he believes when this thing was wired improperly that it caused one of the componets in the distributor to short out and thats why its not starting. hes recommending that we replace the entire distributor.

How does that sound? I ask because I dont know how much faith I have in this guy.

Another update here: so I mentioned the thermostat housing ground to the mechanic and he said he would look into it. So sure enough he said the ground is not there. So he's going to go back through and attach the ground. Here's to hoping that's the problem. Thanks for pointing that out poorman.

Last edited by Blastingas10; 07-16-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like the mechanic is possibly throwing parts at the car. What evidence does he have that the distributor is bad? Do you have no spark? Is the ECU throwing any codes?

Old 07-18-2015, 07:28 PM

He said he's going to test the distributor some more. He fixed the thermostat housing ground and that didn't fix it. I don't believe there are any codes but I personally haven't checked. I'll have to go up there and do that myself.

According to him it's not getting a spark. Since it all started with some electrical wiring work he seems to be understand the impression that it's an underlying electrical problem or ecu problem, which if it is he advised me that it might not be a bad idea to throw In the towel because it could be a very costly repair.