Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2013 Accord problems with nav. and blutooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 02:04 PM

While I know our speakers are not the highest quality, they are not total garbage either. Our poor sound has much more to do with the signal being sent to the speakers than the speakers themselves. This is why a software upgrade is improving the sound (albeit to different levels based on the posts). I have seen factory systems with lesser quality speakers that sound better. It will probably be a few weeks before I am able to make it to the dealer since I have a few issues to get addressed and Honda does not provide loaners.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jaretr1
While I know our speakers are not the highest quality, they are not total garbage either. Our poor sound has much more to do with the signal being sent to the speakers than the speakers themselves. This is why a software upgrade is improving the sound (albeit to different levels based on the posts). I have seen factory systems with lesser quality speakers that sound better. It will probably be a few weeks before I am able to make it to the dealer since I have a few issues to get addressed and Honda does not provide loaners.
I hope you're right. Maybe they'll come up with another patch.
We really like our car. If they could get the audio quality issue resolved we would be a happy Honda owner again.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by kur341
Got fix yesterday morning, first in line at 7am.

Immediate improvement in audio quality.
1. Bass is much more powerful
2. Dynamic range has improved
3. Volume level 15 is now as loud as level 20 was before the patch

So far no lockups with any cameras (coming out of rear view camera used to lock the screen up before the patch).

Dimming feature seems to work properly now, before sometimes the radio would be dim without me dimming it.

Aha and Pandora sound great. Improved speed on touch screen for Aha.

Still does not automatically read SMS texts - it will download them but i have to do it manually (i think its limitation of Samsung S3)

Other than that, the patch is a godsend. The radio that should have been working as intended when I purchased it in November - (only 4 months later!!!)
You mentioned you have a Samsing Galaxy S3. Is it working properly after the upgrade? I am asking because I too have an S3 and a 2013 Accord EX-L V6 (no NAV) and I cannot get the phonebook to download. The Call History and SMS messages download OK (I too have to manually read the SMS) and outgoing calls work fine with the Voice Tags. However, incoming calls do not always connect and without the Phonebook, I cannot tell who is calling unless I recognize the number.

Did you have similar problems? Did they get resolved with the upgrade? Were you able to download the phonebook before the upgrade?

I live in Canada and Honda Canada is even less responsive than people in this forum say about Honda US.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 AM

Sorry, I had posted to this thread way in beginning with all the navi-audio problem...after replacing the Navi unit, they seem to be fixed...but, my transmission still has issues. Quote from before:
"My other problem is that the transmission seems not to be downshifting at certain speeds when your slightly depress the gas. I've found this to be the worst at cruising at around 35 mph, it starts to "growl", and you can feel the straining... The only solution is to punch it, thus shooting ahead like a rocket...I'm wondering if anyone has this happening? Any way, will get the navi stuff on record by calling Honda. Thanks so much for the info. "

Well, now they had the traveling Honda rep drive it,and he said it does feel wrong. So, the "fix" they did was to disconnect the battery cables, then short them together for a "hard boot" of the transmission computer. According to them, the 6 speed automatic tranny on a 6 cylinder has an "adaptive" transmission, that learns as you drive..!?
Nowhere can I find anything relating to this in Honda specs. Plenty on Adaptive Cruise Control, but that is on the Touring model that I don't have.
Needless to say, it still drives the same... I going to ask to test drive some off the lot to see if they are indeed all the same. This is very annoying!
Best, PBass. Ps, was not sure where to post this...Transmissions?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I'll be going in for my update soon... Just curious, do any of you wish you would have tested anything for comparison, before you got the update? Do they have a decibal meter app or anything, we can check road noise before and after?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:38 PM

Update two weeks after the patch. As I said before the audo is better. Not perm. sound, just better.I still think the road noise has increased. Part of the sound improvement was most likely a reduction in white noise giving us an increase in road noise. Today my blutooth locked up for the second time .I have had no problems till the last 3 or 4 days but it is the same thing, the phone and audio lock up untill I stop and restart the car. I called my Honda dealer and talked to the general manager. He told me I was the third one to get the patch and still have problems. The other two were like me, everthing worked fine for several days and then back to the same old stuff. I agreed with him, it makes no sence, only a small number of cars sold are having the problems. Maybe Honda should start thinking about repalcing them.
If you have had the patch and are still having problems, call Honda of America because after we get the patch they close out our folder as fixed.
Jaretr1 you said you had not reveived the patch yet because your dealer does not give out loaners for this. You are being way too nice. He sold you a car that was defective when new. As a min. he owes you a loaner.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Imgumbo
Hi everyone.
New member to this, I have had my EX-L w/nav coupe since 2/25. Does anyone know..does the patch you folks are talking about have possibly been taken care of prior to my picking the car up? The dealer did indicate there was a problem, they said it was a Nav issue, and it was the reason I waited since 1/10 to get the car. The impression I got was it was resolved. But is that the issue the patch addresses?
Funny..I thought I had a freezeup last week, but haven't really had the time to really check out the systems.
Also..if anyone can help with this-I wanted to get an alarm in the car. One with a shock sensor (since I had a 2008 EX-L coupe w/ nav prior to this and suffered the loss of all 4 tires, from my driveway, argh..I learned the hard way)and a remote start. This car has a smart key, and what a pain..as the local alarm shop tells me I have to purchase a third key from the dealer to be placed in a module in the car to enable this? True? As important, are there any other options?
Thanks for any info, and while I'm here, outside of this stuff I'm happy with the car. Better ride than my '08..and it's way quieter. Which was a real issue. Not too thrilled with the audio though, the '08 definitely sounded a lot better.
The patch did not fix my Nav. issues. I still have nonvarified roads and nondigitized road that cause the systen to route me as much as 4.5 miles out of my way and this has nothing to do with the settings and some of the roads are 30 years old. When I first reported this to Honda Of America I was told that was not honda's problem because they did not make the system and the service person I was talking to started to give me the number of the company that made it. I stoped her and told her I wrote the check to Honda and expected them to fix it. I finally broke down and called the number in the manuel for Nav. and they told me they only made the maps and Honda made the program. I guess we are in the middle on that one but I have a $200 dash mounted unit that puts honda's to shame. I just hope my AC compressor doesn't go out. Honda didn't make it eather.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by ehhonda
You mentioned you have a Samsing Galaxy S3. Is it working properly after the upgrade? I am asking because I too have an S3 and a 2013 Accord EX-L V6 (no NAV) and I cannot get the phonebook to download. The Call History and SMS messages download OK (I too have to manually read the SMS) and outgoing calls work fine with the Voice Tags. However, incoming calls do not always connect and without the Phonebook, I cannot tell who is calling unless I recognize the number.

Did you have similar problems? Did they get resolved with the upgrade? Were you able to download the phonebook before the upgrade?

I live in Canada and Honda Canada is even less responsive than people in this forum say about Honda US.
Hi. I have not had issues with phonebook download. No issues before or after the update.

Funny thing though, my contact pictures are all off, so when my wife calls it shows a picture of my buddy Matt. Not sure why that is so. This happened before and after patch.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Pbass
Sorry, I had posted to this thread way in beginning with all the navi-audio problem...after replacing the Navi unit, they seem to be fixed...but, my transmission still has issues. Quote from before:
"My other problem is that the transmission seems not to be downshifting at certain speeds when your slightly depress the gas. I've found this to be the worst at cruising at around 35 mph, it starts to "growl", and you can feel the straining... The only solution is to punch it, thus shooting ahead like a rocket...I'm wondering if anyone has this happening? Any way, will get the navi stuff on record by calling Honda. Thanks so much for the info. "

Well, now they had the traveling Honda rep drive it,and he said it does feel wrong. So, the "fix" they did was to disconnect the battery cables, then short them together for a "hard boot" of the transmission computer. According to them, the 6 speed automatic tranny on a 6 cylinder has an "adaptive" transmission, that learns as you drive..!?
Nowhere can I find anything relating to this in Honda specs. Plenty on Adaptive Cruise Control, but that is on the Touring model that I don't have.
Needless to say, it still drives the same... I going to ask to test drive some off the lot to see if they are indeed all the same. This is very annoying!
Best, PBass. Ps, was not sure where to post this...Transmissions?
Yes I have the same issue (touring model). There are also youtube videos on it

Once I get my NAV fixed I'll deal with this.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by mikek123
Yes I have the same issue (touring model). There are also youtube videos on it

2013 Honda Accord transmission problem - YouTube

Once I get my NAV fixed I'll deal with this.
As I said before, they did this "short-out" reboot of the supposed "adapted" transmission. Ok, all is the same with growling and vibration at the certain speeds noted before. I went in to let them know it did not work. And the conversation I overheard was quite revealing: "let's get the reginal managers car back, the one we could not make it happen with and swap out the modules to see if that's the problem" we'll, it seems like the original thing I was told, "we test drove a few and they all do this, it's how they are" is untrue, and they had never admitted that they had another car they could not get to display my symptoms! I think I'm going to go up and demand a brand new "modual" instead of "swapping" one out of a managers car. This is bloody ridicules!
Will keep in touch. Oh yeah, I went to another dealer and test drove my exact car. Could not get it to growl, whatsoever ever!
Pbass

Quick Reply: 2013 Accord problems with nav. and blutooth