Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2013 Accord problems with nav. and blutooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by nicoljb
Sorry to hear of your many issues - If your in California keep track of dealer attempts to fix for lemon law purposes. I feel better about the dumbed down BT, it pales in comparison. I did find the steering wheel +/- paddles pretty useless and use of same would result in weird trans responses. Good Luck.
I do have one thing that works every time without fail.
The disclaimer screen that comes on at start up and tells you it aint Honda's responsibility. Work every time

Old 03-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I just bought my EXL V6 Navi a month ago and wish I had read these posts first. I wouldn't have bought it. I traded my 2008 TSX and I would love to get her back. That car never needed any service, ever. While my problems are not as severe as some of what I've seen here, I've had all sorts of glitches that usually start with the Bluetooth not responding and end up with nothing responding. I turn off the car, hoping a restart will reboot the computer but then the car won't start again, nor will it lock if I decide to walk away since I can no longer drive it. This is horrendous. This is something I'd expect from a 70's British car, not a Honda. I guess I'm just plain stuck.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by nfmexl
I just bought my EXL V6 Navi a month ago and wish I had read these posts first. I wouldn't have bought it. I traded my 2008 TSX and I would love to get her back. That car never needed any service, ever. While my problems are not as severe as some of what I've seen here, I've had all sorts of glitches that usually start with the Bluetooth not responding and end up with nothing responding. I turn off the car, hoping a restart will reboot the computer but then the car won't start again, nor will it lock if I decide to walk away since I can no longer drive it. This is horrendous. This is something I'd expect from a 70's British car, not a Honda. I guess I'm just plain stuck.
I just reported that after the software patch was down loaded to my car last week, this Tuesday it would not start and the dealer said it was a bad battery. You are the first one I have herd report a problem with not starting. What did you or your dealer do to get it to start again. These other problems are a pain in the, you know what, but not starting is a safety issue for me. I was out in the middle of no where when mine didn't start and had to have it towed to the dealership.
Thanks for reporting your problem.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Clearly, this model year car is a complete failure. I have no idea how Honda could go so wrong.

There are so many of us in this situation, all stuck with "beta" versions of Honda's car. We're made to be the lab rats in this and I for one do not think it's fair or moral.

Is anyone interested in starting a class action suit against Honda demanding that they buy back the cars for having sold a sub standard, untested/unfinished car?

Are there any lawyers in the group? Do we have any ground to stand on?

Mine has 4500 miles and I am considering trading it in, since I can't stand going out there and having a new problem almost on a weekly basis.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:47 PM

I just got home from the dealer. 6 hours because a pair of nincompoops couldnt figure out how to re install the rear spoiler (more on that in a second). Needless to say other than more volume, I cannot really tell that the sound is much better. Maybe it went from dismal to just poor. I guess in a few years I am going to sink $3-4k on a nice system. Problem with this car, and most new cars nowadays is we are stuck with the head unit it seems. I was not having many or any of the issues many others were having regarding the electronics though.

Fortunately, the only other problems I had was the truck button on the spoiler stopped working. And my passenger door handle (and lock button) only works intermittently for the keyless operation. That they could not figure out. (my guess a bad handle or controller, tech thought it was the actuator. If it were the actuator, the operation would still unlock the drivers door, and it doesnt). Meanwhile, it took them 60 minutes to diagnose the trunk button, replace the button, and then 60 minutes to get the spoiler back on after going through multiple sets of clips. It only took me 45 minutes to remove the old one and install the new one (I have the accessory version) and I am not a mechanic!

My only major gripe with this car continues to be the quality of the audio system. I really do like the way the car rides and handles. And long term, I have confidence in the reliability of a Honda.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Default Class action

Originally Posted by acrd
Clearly, this model year car is a complete failure. I have no idea how Honda could go so wrong.

There are so many of us in this situation, all stuck with "beta" versions of Honda's car. We're made to be the lab rats in this and I for one do not think it's fair or moral.

Is anyone interested in starting a class action suit against Honda demanding that they buy back the cars for having sold a sub standard, untested/unfinished car?

Are there any lawyers in the group? Do we have any ground to stand on?

Mine has 4500 miles and I am considering trading it in, since I can't stand going out there and having a new problem almost on a weekly basis.
I am not a lawyer but spoke to one. He said there has to be an actual loss (wage, property, health, etc.). In this case in his opinion he thought although irritating no real loss occurred. The car for the most part works as a car should. However, he also said you could find a lawyer to do just about anything if you pay them, it also depends on the state the action is filed. Most class actions don't provide a lot of restitution to the plaintiff as the lawyers take a good chunk, class actions get very large and the settlement has to be divided amongst the class. So the lawyer may make 1 million and the plaintiffs get 20 bucks each. Your best legal action may be going through the consumer protection agency, the state attorney, or small claims court, depending on the state. Also your state's lemon law may be applicable if you can argue it is a safety feature.
Unfortunately we all got hosed. I would trade my car in if I could get my purchase price back in a second. I got the patch a while ago and most issues seem to be resolved, but very disappointed with the entire debacle. I did add a 500 W kicker 12" sub and amp to give the car some bass, so not all is lost. I guess I can choose to be miserable about this or get over it. Since 99% of the features are at least functioning, I'm not going to walk around upset anymore. Just not worth it. Lesson learned.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I heard back from my dealer today and they assure me they will get to the bottom of this. Maybe it's because their cars are acting up too, which they freely admitted. After reading all these posts, I'm not all that optimistic. There is no cause for legal action. All we can do is make a lot of noise and hope it gives Honda enough incentive to dig in and fix this.

Question on the stereo - yes I know it sucks and I planned on putting in some high quality, high efficiency speakers and a new sub. Have anybody done this and has it affected the way the ANC system works at cancelling road noise? I don't think it should but still...

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 AM
Default push button start woes

As if my ongoing issues with the really crummy sound from my V6 coupe isn't enough, a strange thing happened to me: after looking into an alarm (and I won't pay the stealer for a overpriced/substandard one- did anyone see what Honda wants for the remote start alone?!) I decided to get a viper. Well..it seems that Honda hasn't provided the specs for the 2013 Accords to manufacturers so they can produce the appropriate modules. In other words, unless they take one of your keys and stash it in the dash, no remote start for you. Other Honda models, Odyssey, Pilot, they have, but no Accord. Why is this, Honda?
So I had the shop install a 5904 Viper without the remote start, figuring at some point they will get the bypass module for it. Thing is, I was surprised to discover that the system does-even sans the module- start the car! Granted, once you get in the car shuts off, even if you push the ignition, press the brake pedal, anything..so I called the shop and after some huddling, I was told that yes, the car will start remotely and lock, but still needs a takeover bypass in order to use the car, one needs to restart it, etc.
It accomplishes what I need, to warm up the car on chilly days. Problem solved, I guess. But I'm wondering why Honda hasn't supplied the specs to the vendors- I was told they have never seen this 6 months after the model came out, and this shop is a large, well established one- what is Honda's motivation. Maybe to sell the dealer installed Honda remote starts for 700-800 bucks? I had an '08 EX-L coupe, and between the push button start on the new one (a truly bad idea) and the sound (breathtakingly bad, I sure hope they can fix it-argh!) and after fiddling around with the electronics some locking up issues came up when, for instance, having the bluetooth engaged and trying to use the nav (it hangs up) I sure miss my old Honda.
I'm not ready to throw the car back..it has a nice ride..although I don't really care for the exhaust, when you get on it the hum isn't thrilling, it's annoying..and the mileage so far has been pretty awful- that I hope that improves; the car only has 600 miles on it-but it seems that yes, buying a first year redesign was a mistake. Live and learn. I hope Honda jumps through whatever hoops they need to getting these glitches fixed.
Didn't get the patch yet, I sure hope it works, as the '08 had a nice audio system. This one simply stinks.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by nfmexl
I heard back from my dealer today and they assure me they will get to the bottom of this. Maybe it's because their cars are acting up too, which they freely admitted. After reading all these posts, I'm not all that optimistic. There is no cause for legal action. All we can do is make a lot of noise and hope it gives Honda enough incentive to dig in and fix this.

Question on the stereo - yes I know it sucks and I planned on putting in some high quality, high efficiency speakers and a new sub. Have anybody done this and has it affected the way the ANC system works at cancelling road noise? I don't think it should but still...

Any feedback would be most appreciated.
I have not actually purchased the parts yet but I have upgraded several car audio systems and I start with the people at Crutchfield's. They told me the biggest problem with our cars is that Honda used 2 ohm speakers to get volume from the under powdered power amp. Honda clams 360 watts but that is smoke and mirrors (Peak to Peak vs RMS and 4 ohm vs 2 ohm) Very few companies make prem. speakers in 2 ohm. and Crutchfield carries two. The other direction is to add a power amp that will take speaker inputs. Then you can use any prem. speakers you want. The next problem is the sub woofer. Honda didn't leave enough room for a decent sub so you have to be creative or add a separate sub woofer box. I am adding a sub woofer box and 4 channel power amp first. I will bridge 2 of the power amp channels for the sub and use the other 2 channels for the rear 2 speakers. Hope this helped but talked to a good audio tech. They know a lot more than me.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by don.crowe
I have not actually purchased the parts yet but I have upgraded several car audio systems and I start with the people at Crutchfield's. They told me the biggest problem with our cars is that Honda used 2 ohm speakers to get volume from the under powdered power amp. Honda clams 360 watts but that is smoke and mirrors (Peak to Peak vs RMS and 4 ohm vs 2 ohm) Very few companies make prem. speakers in 2 ohm. and Crutchfield carries two. The other direction is to add a power amp that will take speaker inputs. Then you can use any prem. speakers you want. The next problem is the sub woofer. Honda didn't leave enough room for a decent sub so you have to be creative or add a separate sub woofer box. I am adding a sub woofer box and 4 channel power amp first. I will bridge 2 of the power amp channels for the sub and use the other 2 channels for the rear 2 speakers. Hope this helped but talked to a good audio tech. They know a lot more than me.
Good info. But I just can't stand the thought of having to spend more money to make the premium sound system perform as it should.

The worst part for me is, I drive our 2006 EX V6 coupe everyday for my job with a sound system that has better sound than our 13 EX Coupe. So every time I listen to music it reminds me how poor the 13 is. Pretty sad commentary on the new car when a 7 year old stereo sounds better.

Quick Reply: 2013 Accord problems with nav. and blutooth