Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2013 Accord problems with nav. and blutooth

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JiveC
I have a 2013 Accord LX w/Navi. I recently had a situation were the trip computer was calculating erroneous time to destination, the speed dial system would drop memory during a crank, and the hard drive would go into some type of search mode when I moved the mode select switch (left/right swith on large **** in the center of the lower console). I was passing through Flagstaff, AZ at the time and stopped in at Findlay Honda (no endorsement intended, however their service was excellent). They did a firmware update (took about 20 minutes) and all the gremlins went away. If you have not gotten this update, I strongly recommend it. My car is now working perfectly.
Do you know when that update was released?

Old 08-15-2013, 01:35 PM

I have my Accord 2013 EXL w/ Navi ~ 6 wks. Imported my iPhone 5 phone book at the dealer. Added Speed Dial & recorded name recognition for the speed dial list. Then a few wks later, everything was lost. No speed dial list, get msg "can not import phone book" Tech guy at dealer today said, "I have never seen this problem before" Finally, I imported phone book again. Said "Call HOME" which is a listing in my phone book. Up popped every listing in iPhone that has a "home phone" in the contacts list. Many more problems, list too long to list. Dealer is "looking" into it.

Just spoke to Honda Tech in CA [800-999-1009 x7] & it is a known issue that software gurus are working on, BUT there is NO ETA. So Honda seems comfortable in selling & charging for 4 cylinder cars with only 3 cylinders.

Last edited by BocaHonda; 08-15-2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Talked to Honda Tech in CA
Old 09-12-2013, 10:31 AM

Does anyone have a Verizon Razor phone that the blutooth system will import the call history and phone book, correctly. On my last trip to Honda they said it was the phone's problem. Verizon told me they were aware Honda was blaming the phone but it is not the phone. I am also anxious to see the new 2014 Accord to see if Honda improved the speakers in the prem. system.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:19 AM

I believe it was released in late June 2013.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I would be surprised if Honda improved the speakers because that would be a tacit admission that the 2013's speakers were crap. I had to upgrade my speakers and sub at a cost of about $1000 and I would surely want to be compensated if Honda fixed the problem they denied existed.

I really do love my car but the whole stereo/phone/navi system is so neurotic that I will probably consider looking at another brand for my next car. This after driving nothing but Acura's and Honda's since 1990. I'm so disappointed in them.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Unhappy

Originally Posted by BocaHonda
I have my Accord 2013 EXL w/ Navi ~ 6 wks. Imported my iPhone 5 phone book at the dealer. Added Speed Dial & recorded name recognition for the speed dial list. Then a few wks later, everything was lost. No speed dial list, get msg "can not import phone book" Tech guy at dealer today said, "I have never seen this problem before" Finally, I imported phone book again. Said "Call HOME" which is a listing in my phone book. Up popped every listing in iPhone that has a "home phone" in the contacts list. Many more problems, list too long to list. Dealer is "looking" into it.

Just spoke to Honda Tech in CA [800-999-1009 x7] & it is a known issue that software gurus are working on, BUT there is NO ETA. So Honda seems comfortable in selling & charging for 4 cylinder cars with only 3 cylinders.
I've had my Accord for about 6 months now and have completely given up on the speed dial (I too have an iPhone). I've been back to Honda several times and they just cannot fix it, that is when they're not denying there's a problem. This whole system is a mess and to think I paid extra for it

Not something one would expect from bulletproof Honda, is it?

Old 09-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

note you cannot blame Honda for the radio, they didn't make it. They use big companies like Pioneer and Panasonic for OEM radios.

you can blame Honda for letting someone else make the radio and not holding them to the same quality control standards they use on the rest of the car.

also note that working with an iPhone5 is not an easy task for anyone and this hardware was designed BEFORE the iPhone5 was released (likely designed in 2011). it's easier to blame Apple and Motorola for making something that didn't communicate the same as the previous model.

I have a brand new Alpine head unit, latest and greatest, and the BT pairing is not perfect and sometimes a hassle.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
note you cannot blame Honda for the radio, they didn't make it. They use big companies like Pioneer and Panasonic for OEM radios.

you can blame Honda for letting someone else make the radio and not holding them to the same quality control standards they use on the rest of the car.

also note that working with an iPhone5 is not an easy task for anyone and this hardware was designed BEFORE the iPhone5 was released (likely designed in 2011). it's easier to blame Apple and Motorola for making something that didn't communicate the same as the previous model.

I have a brand new Alpine head unit, latest and greatest, and the BT pairing is not perfect and sometimes a hassle.
Actually I do blame Honda. Anyone can hear the stereo sucks. Their name is on the car. Plain and simple. It's all on them. After all, they spec'd the stereo.

And the blue tooth is sub par as well.
But I also blame myself for not noticing how bad the stereo sounded when we test drove it. We were more interested in the rest of the car. I got caught assuming when it said "premium sound", that's what we would get.
We wouldn't have bought the car if we knew what we know now.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mxrider
Actually I do blame Honda. Anyone can hear the stereo sucks. Their name is on the car. Plain and simple. It's all on them. After all, they spec'd the stereo.

And the blue tooth is sub par as well.
But I also blame myself for not noticing how bad the stereo sounded when we test drove it. We were more interested in the rest of the car. I got caught assuming when it said "premium sound", that's what we would get.
We wouldn't have bought the car if we knew what we know now.
bummer.

they designed the system to make the car quieter. ANC is good for that but bad for music.

bypassing the active noise cancelling will greatly improve the stereo to normal stock quality. that may be all you need to do. we have a sticky on that process.

in general (besides $70k+ luxury sedans), if you want a nice stereo, aftermarket is required. i never expect a stock radio to do what i want. no one makes a car with a good stock radio. even the $1200+ "premium" stereo option in a Scion tC is garbage. the speakers cost about $0.10 and the amps are puny STK's.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
bummer.

they designed the system to make the car quieter. ANC is good for that but bad for music.

bypassing the active noise cancelling will greatly improve the stereo to normal stock quality. that may be all you need to do. we have a sticky on that process.

in general (besides $70k+ luxury sedans), if you want a nice stereo, aftermarket is required. i never expect a stock radio to do what i want. no one makes a car with a good stock radio. even the $1200+ "premium" stereo option in a Scion tC is garbage. the speakers cost about $0.10 and the amps are puny STK's.
I don't agree on that either. My 2006 EX Coupe I drive for work has the stock stereo, and it sounds way better than our new one. I would have thought a 7 year newer car with premium sound would be better.

And while I agree aftermarket is better, there are some very good oem systems out there. I've heard them.

I also own a 2011 F150 FX4 with Ford's Sony stereo system, and it kicks ***. Actually has a sub that produces bass. Unlike the Honda.

I don't think the people on here are being unreasonable by wanting a decent stereo in a $30k plus car.

Quick Reply: 2013 Accord problems with nav. and blutooth