Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

96 Accord + Sony Head Unit Loose Antenna Connect +Short

Old 10-13-2014, 07:33 AM
Default 96 Accord + Sony Head Unit Loose Antenna Connect +Short

I've searched the forum, but haven't quite found an answer to my problem...

I've installed a Sony head unit in my 1996 Accord LX, and everything works fine until I try to plug the antenna lead into the head unit. The antenna connection seems loose, and every time I try to plug it in the radio just shorts out. I've left it unplugged, as I just stream music via USB connection, but I'd really like to be able to use the radio once in a while. The car was stock with a six-disc CD changer, and in-dash phone (both of which have been removed).

I'm stumped, and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

define "shorts out"? do you blow a fuse? does the head unit shut off?

nice finding a model with a changer and phone.

did you buy the Sony head unit new? what model?

some head units try to ground through the antenna.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:35 AM

No fuses blow, but the head unit just shuts down. The unit was bought new, and is a model CDX-GT55UIW. Any idea why the antenna lead might not be a snug fit? I've looked at adapters, and it's definitely the correct type of antenna connection.

As far as grounding through the antenna, how would I remedy that? It's been so long since I did the install that I can hardly remember how (or if) it's grounded some other way. I'll have to pull the unit out and take a look. Ideally, should I just ground to the chassis somewhere near the HU?

Thanks so much for the advice, it's never bothered me, as I've got unlimited data on my phone, so I can stream to my heart's content. My recently-licensed son, on the other hand, has been burning through his data like a B***H. A working radio might help.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

i ground head units to the chassis using the ground wire in the harness. you can supplement with a ground wire attached to the chassis.

the antenna plug usually has some small metal fins that can be bent out to fit tighter.

did you use a metra harness adapter to connect the radio to the car's wiring? describe/draw the connections you made.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 10-19-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:04 AM

Thanks. I'm off tomorrow, and will take a look. I'll also take a few photos of the connections that I made.