Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need help please! Radio problem works on and off, loose wire

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Default Need help please! Radio problem works on and off, loose wire

Hello.. I installed a new CD player and it worked awesome for about a month, then all of a sudden i hit a speed bump of something and it stopped working.

I know its not the fuse, i pulled the radio out everything seems to be connected, i can get local radio, but its weird because say I hit a speed bump or move my car a certain way and then the radio works for a minute or two then stops, until i move my car the certain way again or hit a speed bump a certain way.

I beleive it is a loose wire, i know its not the fuse, everything works but only when it wants too.. all 4 speakers work also (when it works on occasion)

can someone PLEASE give me some tips or advice on what to do to fix this?

I am not a car expert and tore my car up pretty good trying to find a loose wire somewhere.. it is a 1991 honda accord ex, any help is appriciated, thank you time a million! I dont really have the 50$ to pay a professional to hook it up.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Well you on the right track, that is probably a loose wire, maybe a deign HU, but most likely a loose wire. The only three wires that could cause this are the black (ground), red (switched +), and yellow (constant +). If your not loosing your presets and saved information hen it turns on and off I would think it's safe to say that narrows out the yellow wire and ground being loose. If it is just turning on and off, but your presets and everything is still saved more than likely it's the red wire.

Pull the radio out but leave it connected, turn it on and shake the wire harness. If nothing happened than either the loose wire is before this point, or it's not a loose wire at all. If you used butt crimp connectors try cutting it off and replacing it. First just try and located the loose wire with the radio on and you moving the wires.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:33 AM

If you are using butt connectors thats dumb. Don't replace it. Take them all off and solder your connections. Behind the dash of a radio is a violent place. You want to make sure you have the best connections possible. That should take care of the problem.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:54 PM

I used black electric tape to connect all the wires from the radio to the harness, thanks for all of your help! :-) I will make sure the red wire is secured, if i cant figure it out still, I will post some pictures, thanks again

Old 06-10-2009, 06:17 PM

Ok problem fixed! It was not a loose wire, incase someone else has this same problem.. I brought the car to a professional, and for 35$ they diagonosed it and told me what was wrong.. it was nothing to do with loose cables but a broken rear speaker. One of my speakers blew out/stopped working and they said that since it is a old speaker most new car radios put out like 50 to 60 watts normally and since the speaker blew out the radio turns itself off to prevent damage to itself. So now i need to get two new 6x9 speakers for the rear of the car, any idea on what size speakers are for the front? they are about to go also... i think they are factory speakers from 91' also.. how do i change the speakers out? any good tutorials? do I have to switch them out trought the trunk or take the plastic screen top off towards the top by the rear windshield? thanks!

edit::: ok i got it .. theres some bolts in the trunk you have to unscrew, then that release the grill on the top with the speaker in it, and for the front speakers im guessing i have to take the door panel off

Last edited by bustedhonda; 06-11-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yeah you have to pull the door panels. I'm sure there is a tutorial for your accord somewhere on the net, if you search for it I'm sure you will find something. Or if you have the repair manual for your car, it should tell you how to pull the panel. Generally there will be a couple of screws, then you have to release the clips that go along the bottom and sides of the panel. Then you just lift the panel up off the door, then you have to release the cable that goes to the door handle.