Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New Subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: New Subwoofers

Oh .... my bad .... I was forgetting to multiply by 2 channels. Can you run 1 coil of a DVC speaker?

Old 09-10-2008, 07:19 PM

I haven't really heard anyone saying anything about that. I do remember that 19accord97 was running one coil on a DVC. I doubt it is harmless and your not going to be giving the driver the power it was designed to work with. If you mean running the full power through one coil that is definite way to burn the coil, but I don't think you meant that. Does it work? From what 19accord97 says, yes. How good does it sound or how relaible it is, can't be good.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:16 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it! I am going to the Dells this weekend (You still in chitown falkore?) so I wont be able to do anything for a bit. The image is sort of confusing so when I take it apart it will give me a better idea.

Yes, (good memory t00fat!) one of my subs is only being powered on one coil. Reason being, is when you hook both up it sound MUCH MUCH worse w/ clipping then having it hooked up to the good coil. I have been running it that way for almost 3 years.

Okay, idea. Can I just take the wires that go to the clips on the sub that I want to remove, and just hook them up to the other one? Meaning each terminal on the good subwoofer would have two wires going to it. Making a total of 8 wires to one sub. And I am surprised by how thin wires are that actually go to the subwoofer, what gauge should they be?

My plan for the empty side of the box is to put a sheet of clear plexiglass and NiteShade it but 1st put a big Honda logo on it so everything will be blacked out but the H. Then put some chrome tape to reflect the light of led's in the box. Whatcha think?

And (sorry) I want to move the 1 farad cap from the top of the box to the middle of the front of the box (between the 2 subs) so that way I (and everyone else ) can see the meter on the cap. If the wiring isnt long enough (i think its 4 gauge) can I just add another inline fuse as a "patch" so I can have a longer wire?

Old 09-12-2008, 06:03 PM

Okay, idea. Can I just take the wires that go to the clips on the sub that I want to remove, and just hook them up to the other one? Meaning each terminal on the good subwoofer would have two wires going to it. Making a total of 8 wires to one sub. And I am surprised by how thin wires are that actually go to the subwoofer, what gauge should they be?
You completely lost me. What are you trying to do? Replace one sub out of a pair? Or replace the pair with just one sub? 8 wires to one sub? Huh? With a DVC you could potentially have four wires, but should be two. You need to be much more specific in what is going on for me to help you.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:12 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Sorry about that.

My plan is to remove the bad subwoofer, and only have one subwoofer (the good one) hooked up to the amp.
Like I said I haven't messed w/ the subs in such a long time I have forgotten all about the stuff. If I remember correctly, on the back of the subwoofer there are 2 pairs of push type terminals. One pair on one side for one voice coil. One pair on the other side for the other voice coil. Now, on the back of the subwoofer box, there is a total of 4 connectors, 2 for each subwoofer. So can I just take the 2 wires from one side of the box (that will no longer have a sub) and just add them to the existing wire connector on the outside of the box that contains the good sub?

Old 09-14-2008, 10:28 PM

If I understand what you saying, you can't do that without frying your amp. Do you mean taking the second set of wires and combining them into one sub? If you can even bridge an amp like that I'm not sure, but the amp will be seeing 1ohm. Your amp can take 4 ohms minimum bridged. Since you have yet to specify if you have a 4 or 2ohm DVC. I can only assume you have a 4ohm DVC, and the coils are wired in parallel making the sub as a whole 2 ohms. So if you do what you want to do you will fry your amp. What you need to do is figure out the resistance of your coils. Use a multimeter if you have to. Then look back at my other post with the picture. Your single sub's coils need to be wired like in the picture. Like positive wire goes to + on coil1, then connect the + on coil2 to the - of coil1, then the - of coil2 to the negative wire. The coils need to be wired in series, its really very simple once you understand it.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:06 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks man! I am pretty sure they are like 3.8 ohms. And thanks for the warning about my amp! I will have to get everything figured out here in a bit before I start making things smoke! lol Ill let you know when I have some actual time away from school work.
And would you mind specifying what bridging and all that means? I thought I knew what it was but im wrong.

Here are my specs:
Subs
Amp

Old 09-15-2008, 09:32 AM

Bridging is when you parallel wire 2 channels ..... plus to plus, minus to minus .... resulting in each channel seeing half of the total impedance.

I haven't been in Chicago since April.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:46 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Alright, thanks guys!

And it is okay to just unhook/remove one of the subs right? The other sub shouldnt be affected power wise, right?

Old 09-16-2008, 09:35 PM

Yeah, but be sure to tape off the ends of the wires or disconnect them from the amp. Don't just leave them lose in the trunk or they will short and blow a fuse.