Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Rear Speakers not working

Old 12-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Default Rear Speakers not working

My rear (factory) speakers recently stopped working in my 2000 Accord SE. I had Best Buy install an aftermarket (Kenwood) head unit two years ago. I had a friend recently look at the stereo for me (ASA certified mechanic) and he couldn't figure it out. We pulled out the head and connections all look tight. Also checked fuses and they all look cool.

Does anyone know if the little black box in the trunk is a factory amp that just powers the rear factory speakers? The cover of it has (TDK) imprinted on it and when I took off the cover, I see 2 coils of copper that I'm assuming is an amp. I was going to just replace that and see if the rear speakers start working again, but don't wanna just throw money at the problem.

I have pics of this mysterious black box and i'm trying to figure out how to shrink them so I can post them here. I own a volt/ohm meter, so if anyone could tell me how to test the system with it (voltage/continuity) or provide any other recommendations, I'd appreciate the insight.

Thanks,
Andy

Old 12-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

I would take a multimeter and see if you are getting power at the plugs that go into the speakers. if so it is your speakers. if not follow the line back and check power at the next point. if not there either keep following it back. wherever the last place you get power it will be the next component (could be amp, fuse, head unit, or even wire)

Old 12-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

no, that is not an amplifier and is not associated with the stereo or speakers. i believe it is associated with the rear defrost.

use a multi-meter to measure resistance of the factory speakers (with wires disconnected) to verify if there is a short in the wiring. there should be nothing between the head unit or rear speakers.