Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

sub and amp for 09 accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
Just make sure the LOC has an auto turn on if the amp doesn't.

No amp should be triggered by ignition alone.

Well I would have to disagree.

I have a Pioneer Avic-Z2

It powers the remote wire anytime the car is powered on. No matter if the radio is on or off. Many Navi head units do the same thing.

There is nothing wrong with powering the amp(s) whenever the car is on as they will not draw much power at all while they are at idle.

Now I know you know much more about Electrical Systems than so if you can give me a reason why is it bad to have the amps powered up whenever the car is on please explain as I do not see a problem. And if it was wrong why would so many head units (navi units) power the remote wire all the time?

Old 01-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

it is because it is an imediate rush of power to the amp if I am not mistaken. the remote wire coming off of the head unit will have a delay.it has more to do with starting the car with the amp on.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by crispin

I have a Pioneer Avic-Z2

It powers the remote wire anytime the car is powered on. No matter if the radio is on or off. Many Navi head units do the same thing.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...Manual0228.pdf

Page 16. Blue/white on RCA harness is amp turn on.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by crispin
There is nothing wrong with powering the amp(s) whenever the car is on as they will not draw much power at all while they are at idle.

Now I know you know much more about Electrical Systems than so if you can give me a reason why is it bad to have the amps powered up whenever the car is on please explain as I do not see a problem. And if it was wrong why would so many head units (navi units) power the remote wire all the time?
if the amps are on when the HU is off - you will have the highly likely opportunity for noise and turn on/off thumps/pops/clicks which are damaging to speakers. the problems vary mostly with the amplifier choice. cheaper amps are more succeptable to noise.

if your amps stay on, then you used the wrong remote turn-on wire.

navi units should all have separate outputs for amplifiers and NAVI. you just have to connect the correct wire.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 PM

I dont know what amps dont have that feature anymore, though. I am running a lanzar for my bass amp and it is pretty low on the totem pole and it has this feature.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Auto turn-on is not a common feature. High level inputs are very common.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
if the amps are on when the HU is off - you will have the highly likely opportunity for noise and turn on/off thumps/pops/clicks which are damaging to speakers. the problems vary mostly with the amplifier choice. cheaper amps are more succeptable to noise.

if your amps stay on, then you used the wrong remote turn-on wire.

navi units should all have separate outputs for amplifiers and NAVI. you just have to connect the correct wire.
wow man you are kinda insulting me.

I have been installing stereo systems for over 23 years now.

Think about it for a sec, if a Navi unit needs to give directional information and you are not running any speakers from the head units internal amplifier, how would it get that information to the user? It does it by powering up the amplifier through the remote wire.

Here is a discussion I started about it on the AVIC forum.

Amps stay on? - AVIC411.com

I promise you I know how to install a system in a car correctly.

As for the OP I have done many "subwoofer and amp with factory system" installs.

I have used cheap LOC's and sometimes used the remote wire from the HU but many other times just used a ACC wire from somewhere in the car.
I have never once had any turn on pops or any other noises. However, one thing I have never done is installed cheap POS equipment in a car. I guess i am kinda a car audio snob cause I have refused to install crap on many occasions.

Last edited by crispin; 01-05-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:37 PM

Not to seem like I am ganging up on you KHA, cause I am not. But while most amps may not have the auto-on. they do have a soft on where the power does not imediately go out to the speakers when the amp comes on. disallowing those pops.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by neophyte
Not to seem like I am ganging up on you KHA, cause I am not. But while most amps may not have the auto-on. they do have a soft on where the power does not imediately go out to the speakers when the amp comes on. disallowing those pops.
I agree with you. But with an ignition turn on you can turn on/off the HU at any time and the soft turn on is long gone. If you never turn the HU off, always replace the faceplate before you turn the car on, etc. you can avoid those issues. But I usually make recommendations that don't have lists of requirements.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:21 PM

I see what you mean. I never turn my radio off, but I see where if you did it would pop.