Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

What are water spots?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Default What are water spots?

Can somebody give me some information about water spots? What is the difference between HARD water spots and other water spots? My car got sprayed with a sprinkler and left in the late afternoon sun and I was pretty helpless to fix it. I do not have cleaning supplies at my house right now, and obviously the sun has already dried the water. Is it really the end of the world like many web sites claim or are they just over-the-top car enthusiasts? I never dreamed in a million years that leaving a car wet would cause permanent damage. Nobody really pulls you aside and explains this. I have rinsed my car in the past in partial shade, and it does cause water spots but I don't have supplies to remove them. I just wanted to know why this is portrayed as such a huge problem on the internet? That seems really outrageous to me because nobody goes out and dries their car after it rains. That's silly. And though tap water and rain are different, they can't be that different. I'm just nervous because spraying a car down with water seems so harmless. I live in the north and all of those car washes have pressurized water and no way to dry the car and not many people are worried. I have a new car, and I just can't believe that some websites are throwing words like "etch" and "damage" around regarding water spots and washing a car in the sun. What on earth do people in Florida do? Never wash their cars? This topic not only scares me but frustrates me because sometimes you can't help getting water on your car. I'm already tiring myself out being **** about every other thing, now I have to worry about what I consider to be one of the most harmless substances found in nature..... water. It just make me wonder what the point of having a new car is if even water poses a threat. My car took a hit with the sprinkler and was dried by the time I noticed it, and I can rub the spots off with my finger but I'm not going to do that to the whole car. Those really won't come off on their own? Thank you.

Seems like I learn some new things I'm not supposed to do with my car everyday

Old 08-02-2006, 02:34 AM
Default RE: What are water spots?

I wouldn't worry THAT much about water spots. Actually, the water itself isn't bad. It is the other things in the water (dirt, minerals, acid rain, etc...). Just keep a good wax or glaze on the car and wash it often, you should be fine. It is impossible to keep water off your car if you ever drive it, don't worry about it so much just wash often and wax regularly.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:39 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

water spots are what remains after the water evaporates. it all of the impurities that were in the water used to rinse your car.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:53 AM
Administrator

Hi Tibbo...I think your a compulsive worrier and you need to kinda chill out.
Just re-wash your car with a good car wash, dry it and then put a good coat of wax on it and then, Dont Worry, Be Happy! it'll be allright friend!

WheelBrokerAng[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 08-02-2006, 07:32 PM

Water spots, like acid rain, can permanently damage a car's finish. If the paint is well protected, ie. sealant, wax, there shouldn't be a problem. That is providing the car gets washed on a regular basis and not left to go to hades.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: WheelBrokerAng

Hi Tibbo...I think your a compulsive worrier and you need to kinda chill out.

WheelBrokerAng[sm=americanasmiley.gif]
*ROFL* you kill me man....

Old 08-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Thank You Sir Mr Nasty...
I accept that complement..I thought it was appropiate at the moment..
WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-18-2006, 11:55 AM

I LIVED IN HAWAII MY WHOLE LIFE AND MOVED TO EL PASO LAST YEAR (MILITARY). I HAD MY CAR SHIPPED FROM HAWAII AND MY PAINT IS MESSED UP.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:32 PM

From paradise to hades in one set of orders!!!!

CHILL WITH THE CAPS LOCK WOULD YOU PLEASE!!!!