Do-It-Yourself Section This section is for requests for DIY help, not for general technical advice.

DIY: make your own bezel

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default DIY: make your own bezel

this can apply to gauges, a more professional looking single din radio install, a tablet or ipod mount, or anything else the mind can come up with. for me, I needed to mount a 7" hdmi input touchscreen and a center channel speaker.

Attached Thumbnails DIY: make your own bezel-bezel0.jpg   DIY: make your own bezel-bezel2.jpg   DIY: make your own bezel-bezel4.jpg   DIY: make your own bezel-bezel5.jpg   DIY: make your own bezel-mycarnow.jpg  

Old 12-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Please include some more info. and/or instructions if this is a DIY to help others.

Last edited by redbull-1; 12-08-2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Moved to Appearance, as the thread lacks instructions or info. on how-to.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Administrator
Talking Good Post

Yes , more instructions for this and then we can make it a Sticky over in the DIY thread..good post there with good pictures..

Thank You

Attached Thumbnails DIY: make your own bezel-detail_us.jpg  
Old 01-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

instructions? but, but that's what the pictures are for. i even show the materials and tools used in the pics. and the instructions would be different for gauges, or other add on stuff. but same idea and same materials used. what i did to make this happen was:

1- before removing bezel, i figured out where i wanted my screen to mount. i wanted it up high so the shifter or my hand on the shifter did not interfere with my view. then i removed the bezel.
2- i acquired a 7" lillyput high brightness hdmi input touchscreen and completely dismantled it. the rear plastic housing goes in the garbage, and the front half of the screen's plastic case is what i built into my Honda's bezel. for this to happen in my 97 accord lx, i had to dump the clock, dump the rear window defogger, and relocate the emergency flashers to the spot where the rear defogger used to be. i also dumped the cig. lighter and ashtray to make room for my carpc's 5.1 channel home theater center channel speaker.(i list all this as one step because it is just planning and making room for the new stuff and will differ from vehicle to vehicle and mod to mod).
3-TAKE MEASUREMENTS! learn and understand what you have to build before you build it and you'll only have to build it once. make sure it is gonna fit when it is done. for me this was very easy as the screen is so very much more shallow than the double din radio was.
4-with dremel in hand, start cutting out the area in the car's bezel where the lcd screen is going to sit. you should cut out just enough for the lcd screen's bezel to be a snug fit without deforming the lcd's bezel.
5- attach lcd bezel to car's bezel. this can be done with super glue, epoxy, a soldering iron, or even hot glue. i used a little super glue in a few spots, then an airless plastic welder. if using glue, let dry.
6- you can also use other spare pieces of plastic, like from a car stereo installation kit or where ever to make further changes to the bezel. i had some holes to cover so i attached plastic to the rear side of the bezel to cover the hole, then filled the front side. i also rebuilt the entire lower half of my bezel so i could put that 4x6 where the ashtray used to be. you just attach plastic pieces to get the basic shape together. it does not need to be strong at this point. it just needs to hold itself together, so remember let glue dry
7-break out the fiberbond / bondoglass / duraglass or it's equivelant. you don't wanna use regular bondo or body filler. from this point until after paint, all work should be done with latex or nitrile gloves. mix up small amounts at a time, and apply in relatively thin coats to build up the shape you are looking for. if you put it on real thick, the inside will not dry and over time the glued plastic pieces will move.
8-sand and grind to further shape your bezel. don't be afraid to take it back out to your car for a quick test fit before finishing and paint just to make sure you are happy with the shape and look of things. if there is anything you are not happy with, now is the time to add more duraglass or gring it away.
9-smoothing and prep for paint. start with a course grit paper wrapped around a piece of wood so your bezel will not be wavy. and just keep switching to a finer grit until you are happy with it's finish.
10- making sure gloves and parts are very clean, test fit components to the new bezel. make sure everything fits before paint.
11-prime and paint. i used good quality spray cans. engine enamel. the trick is to never touch your bezel with your bare hands before paint, and to use compressed air to blow of dust from sanding. my bezel has done beautifully for over a year, and i haven't had to repaint it once.
12-wire up, install, and enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails DIY: make your own bezel-5.jpg   DIY: make your own bezel-carpc-no-carpet.jpg   DIY: make your own bezel-carpchlogo.jpg   DIY: make your own bezel-carpchlogotouch.jpg  

Last edited by autowiz; 01-27-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the additional info.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:28 PM

That looks pretty sharp! Quite the setup you have there.

Rob

Old 04-11-2014, 11:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

TY. it's been a long time in the making

Attached Thumbnails DIY: make your own bezel-mycarnow.jpg   DIY: make your own bezel-xbox-carpc.jpg   DIY: make your own bezel-carnetwork1.jpg   DIY: make your own bezel-carnetwork2.jpg  
Old 04-14-2014, 04:22 AM

good work

Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Darn good post you made here..Thank You!