Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2004 Honda Accord V2.4 - Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Default 2004 Honda Accord V2.4 - Starting problem

Hi,

Problem description: Sometimes car in not getting started on first try...When i try to start the car...it cranks twice and then does not start.....then remove keys , wait for say 10 sec and try again...sometime car starts in second attempt or there are times when car starts in fourth attempt....

Background:

From last 2-3 months i am having a starting problem with my Honda accord LX ( 2004 ). Initially i used to have this problem say 1 in 15 time of starting car......as i was not sure on the battery life....i changed the battery ( Also my mechanic advice earlier that battery is old, holding less charge).

After changing the battery....i noticed that i was still getting the starting problem......In last 2-3 weeks i have had this problem more often ( say 1 in 10 times of car starting).....I went to Firestone mechanic....he mentioned that alternator is not charging the battery properly...so he advised to change the alternator....After changing the alternator...still problem is not resolved. Yeaterday i had problem in starting the engine twice...I went again to Firestone mechanic and he checked up and could not figure out the issue...suggested to try changing the starter but he thinks that starter might not be problem.....

I would appreciate if anybody can share there experience with this issue...

tvsd...

2004 Honda Accord LX
4 cylinders..
92,000 miles

Old 03-17-2012, 01:25 AM

In addition....when i try to start the car....it cranks for 2 or 3 times and then it does not crank...After 2 or three cranks car it dies off and does not start....then i remove keys ...wait for say 5-8 seconds and try to start the car....Most of the time car start after 2 unsuccessful tries....

Old 03-27-2012, 10:43 PM

Had the Same problem. Thought it was the battery replaced it. But it turned out to be the starter.

Originally Posted by tvsd
In addition....when i try to start the car....it cranks for 2 or 3 times and then it does not crank...After 2 or three cranks car it dies off and does not start....then i remove keys ...wait for say 5-8 seconds and try to start the car....Most of the time car start after 2 unsuccessful tries....

Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 PM

I have a 07 that has the same engine and had the same issue, I changed out the Battery and the Starter at the same time. The only way I could start it was to push start it, then once I drove it and the engine got warm, it would work just fine. It has not done it since I have changed out those two parts. Infact It starts alot faster because I got a high torque starter in comparison to the factor low torque starter.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If it is spinning over and then quits spinning over or just wont spin over at all, it's probably either the battery, alternator, or the starter. get you a cheap 5 dollar volt meter and check the voltage of the battery. Make sure something is not left on like a light or something that is running your battery down. If the battery voltage is good, it's most likely the starter.