Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Do I need a new transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Default Do I need a new transmission?

Hey all, my 98 Accord EX-V6 Automatic has had a shifting problem ever since I got it, and I was hoping you guys could help me determine its severity. The car has 228k on it now, and had ~ 200k when purchased used. I do not have maintenance or service records for the vehicle.

The primary shifting issue I am having is between 2nd and 3rd gears. Occasionally the transmission will "clunk" its way into third gear. The car really seems to have a "sweet spot", and if I can hit it just right (which I do, most of the time) it goes into 3rd perfectly fine. This entails keeping the tach around 2,100 to 2,600 RPMs before the car shifts. Anything less than that, like a slow acceleration, the shift is not smooth, and you can hear a noticeable clunk into the higher gears. It also makes this clunking noise if I stomp the gas while attempting to pass someone. Also, between 1st and 2nd, the car tends to rev higher than necessary, unless I keep a light foot. (which, as an ecodriver, I generally do).

So, as you can tell, this entails driving pretty strange. For me, I am a lightfoot anyhow, so I generally take off slowly into 2nd,increase revs to ~2,100 for 3rd gear, and then its fine. I have no issues with the transmission when downshifting to a stop. I can also avoid all of these issues by simply using the shifter to change gears.

So what do you guys think? The car has 228k, and I have no idea if this is all on the same transmission. From what I have read, most 6th gen Accords with the V6 don't make it this many miles without tranny problems. It really hasn't gotten any worse in the 20k since I've driven it. I am just torn, because I would like to put a little money into this car and fix it up. If it needs an entire transmission overhaul, I would like to know before I put anything into it......

Old 10-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Supper Moderator

check your engine mounts