Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Drive axel vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Thumbs down Drive axel vibration

I have a 1995 Accord - 4cyl, automatic with 110K on the clock. Recently I elected to have the drive axels replaced since the boots were rotted and I wanted to be proactive. Since I had the axels changed I notice a vibration in the drive train during right hand turns when the transmission upshifts from 1st. to second. The vibration is also noticeable while driving straight from a full stop, again when the transmission upshifts from 1st into second gear.

This is a new problem, the vibrations were not there until I changed to drive axels. My mechanic put in a second set to see if the first set was out of balance, the second set is at least as bad as the first. I might mention that the replacement axels are Chinese supplied by Cardone - could that be the problem?

Anyone else experience similar problems?

Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dward
I have a 1995 Accord - 4cyl, automatic with 110K on the clock. Recently I elected to have the drive axels replaced since the boots were rotted and I wanted to be proactive. Since I had the axels changed I notice a vibration in the drive train during right hand turns when the transmission upshifts from 1st. to second. The vibration is also noticeable while driving straight from a full stop, again when the transmission upshifts from 1st into second gear.

This is a new problem, the vibrations were not there until I changed to drive axels. My mechanic put in a second set to see if the first set was out of balance, the second set is at least as bad as the first. I might mention that the replacement axels are Chinese supplied by Cardone - could that be the problem?

Anyone else experience similar problems?
I've heard from numerous sources that Honda's can be very particular about their axles, and various truisms have been pressed upon me:
  1. New axles are better (as in less likely to cause wobbles and vibrations) than Remanufactured axles which are better than Rebuilt axles.
  2. Not all "new" axles are created equal. Autozone, Car Quest, Pep Boys, et al. seem to have a spotty reputation even with their highest quality (most expensive) axles; some folks have no issues, others have had to replace axles several times before the get the vibration issues solved.
  3. Honda axles are considered the best, but they are three to four times as expensive as pretty much everything else out there.
  4. I've run across nothing but good reports regarding axles from Raxles (www dot raxles dot com) in that they're roughly comparable with Honda axles at a fraction of the price.
I've yet to delve into any Honda axle issues so nothing I've written is from personal experience.

Let us know how you make out.

Last edited by JimBlake; 10-02-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: active link
Old 10-01-2012, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the information, I think I will put the old axles back in to see if the problem goes away.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shipo
I've run across nothing but good reports regarding axles from Raxles (www dot raxles dot com) in that they're roughly comparable with Honda axles at a fraction of the price.
Nothing wrong with recommending someplace like that, but if it's not a sponsor we aren't supposed to use active links to selling-sites.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Nothing wrong with recommending someplace like that, but if it's not a sponsor we aren't supposed to use active links to selling-sites.
Oops! Sorry about that; won't happen again.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I ran through 2 replacements of axles w/ AZ remans to fix a vibration under acceleration problem. I bought raxles and fixed the problem.

good luck

Old 10-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I ran through 2 replacements of axles w/ AZ remans to fix a vibration under acceleration problem. I bought raxles and fixed the problem.

good luck
Another vote for Raxles.