Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

electrical and wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question electrical and wiring help

Hi, I am brand new to the forums and brand new to the Honda scene. I have a brother into these cars but he is clueless on some things so i need help.

I just bought a 96 Accord lx sedan (automatic). motor had been swapped by previous owner. I am not getting too much info from them. The motor is F22B1 vtec the car is non vtec. The car has no pick up and go and will not kick in passing gear. It runs ok otherwise. I was told it was because of the vtec not being hooked up (limp mode??) and I can reset it by disconnecting battery. I DO NOT have the ecu for the vtec motor and I'm not sure what years will work for it either. I have been doing research all day but I'm still clueless what I'm looking for. I did find some info about reading the numbers on the ecu, and I know I want the last 3 digits to be A51. What other digits (P0A)? And what years will work for this vtec motor? I read I can just wire the solenoid and oil pressure switch so I dont have to get the wiring harness.

Also, being a 96 I should have obd2. There is NO obd2 anywhere. The wiring has been messed with pretty badly also. I didnt have turn signals til the wire was moved around a bit. There is no CEL but I dont think it has a bulb in it. I would like to ge the codes.

I know I have a job ahead of me, but I'm willing to learn and do what needs to be done, I just need a place to start and a few ppl with knowledge of what I'm working with. Anyway, I could really use some help. Thanks so much.

Last edited by karen7; 02-13-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Supper Moderator

Ok well to start with yes you need a vtec ecu for your car...that's why it is running like crap.
If your wiring harness is from a non vtec engine then you will need to wire the vtec solenoid and the vtec pressure switch. Pretty easy.. read this link

http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-ar...re-vtec-40811/

Now with the ecu’s I think they started using the immobilizer on the 97 models and up s I don't think you can use thos ecu's. So you will be looking for a ecu from a EX model accord