Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Major Problems with 91 Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 02:29 AM
mdoug445
Unregistered
Default Major Problems with 91 Accord LX

hey, this is my first post on this forum. got a little problem with a 91 honda accord lx 2 door. its my old car (i now own a jeep) and now my little sister drives it. i belive its got 165,000 miles and its the auto trans. anyways, my sister was driving it a while back and it started shuddering and she lost all accessories and then the motor quit. well my dad went over and said that a pulley had come loose and the belts had slipped off. he tightened everything back up and we thought that was the end of it. yesterday it did it again, twice. we took it to the mechanic and told him there was a 19mm bolt that held a pulley in that kept coming loose and we needed to get it to stay in. he said it was the crankshaft pulley and that there was no way to get it to stay in. HE SAID IT NEEDS A NEW ENGINE!!!!!! What the hell, I dont believe that theres no way to get that bolt to stay in. the mechanic said something about the hole and bolt being keyed or something, but i think its BS and theres gotta be a way to get it to stay in. anyway, im a member at jeepforum.com and i get a lot of info on how to fix my jeep from over there, so i thought i would try to get some advice from a honda forum. thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Matt

Old 03-12-2005, 10:48 PM
Default RE: Major Problems with 91 Accord LX

If it is the crankshaft pulley they usually are keyed. Assuming the car runs well otherwise have you tried LocTite on the bolt? If the keyway is missing it won't ever stay put. I can't comment on the new engine, not enough to go by.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:53 PM
hondamania
Unregistered

like the other person said the crank shaft pulley is keyed and like they said it will never stay in place if the key is missing this will cause the pulley to slip maybe when the bolt worked loose witch is odd but not saying it couldnt happen exspesially with that millage the key could have fell out and now after you have tightened the bolt it holds somewhat but starts slipping later and locktite would be a good Idea or even try jb weld if you do that then you will never be able to get the bolt back out keep this in mind hope that helps

Old 11-11-2005, 02:26 AM

Check for the key. If it is missing just replace it. What probably is happening is that it the key is missing and it is allowing the pulley to turn. That is making the bolt slowly work out of the end of the crank. If you replace the key the pulley cannot turn. Put the bolt in and have it torqed down by a shop with an impact gun. If you loctite it it maybe hard to get it back off in the future for t-belt and waterpump service.