Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

New Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Default New Oil Leak

Hello All,

It has been sometime since I last posted well the car has been running good until recently. I noticed some drops of oil on my driveway and that is what prompted me to put it on jack stands. I am including some pictures of the oil leak and steering boot. I had the oil pan gasket done just recently and I also took a picture of boot on the rack and pinion which is split in two. I was wondering how long I could wait before both these issues become major issue and how soon should I wait before repairing them as money is tight right now. Can someone maybe help me out with part numbers for the parts I need and the cost for repair if I decide to take it to the stealership? I also have more pictures if needed. Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5068/C69A1FC140794281ABEE2A9E4B632694.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5068/509A7DDE2D334B9EBF40EBA98A981ABF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-15-2007, 12:16 AM
Default RE: New Oil Leak

anyone, anyone???

Old 11-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the boot is a pretty easy fix, so I'd do that as soon as possible. They make repair kits that are easy to use, but are less reliable than a replacement boot. It's better to put a solid boot on, but a repair kit would help if you have a need to put the real repair off for a bit (you want the real boot on before it snows and they start throwing salt everywhere!).

I really can't tell what the oil is leaking from ..... it looks like the gasket needs some sealer. How bad is the leak? it doesn't look major, but needs to be fixed.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the first pic i cannot tell for sure what is leaking,,,

the second pic, DO not waste your money replacing the p/s rack boot,, looks like that the p/s rack is leaking , putting a new boot will just keep the leaking fluid inside the boot for a while so it wont drip to the floor

but it is like putting a band-aid on a 10 inch cut ..it won't fix the leak

Old 11-16-2007, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the responses all, but since you say do not replace the boot. Then what needs to be done to fix the power steering. Also the oil leak is coming from where the transmission connects to the engine....it looks like the rear main seal. I am assuming that is what it is called. Any idea what would ittake to fix all this. See the better picture of the oil leak below.Thanks.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:56 AM

Anyone know ? Thanks.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

I think Desert meant it's a waste of time replacing that steering rack boot. There isn't supposed to be oil inside there to begin with. So you need a new (or rebuilt)steering rack.

ps... If the other leak IS the rear main seal, the tranny has to come out so you can remove the seal from the back of the engine.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:39 PM

Very interesting. I did not know that...So does anyone know what kind of labor involved or could I do it myself....I attached a picture to the previous post. Thanks all for your responses...Keep them coming.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:24 PM

Depending on what tools/equipment/expertise you have you could do it yourself, I've never done a PS rack so I can't speak for that one but pulling the tranny is a lengthy process but not super difficult (IMO) if you could find someone who's pulled a tranny before (on any car) and they help you then I'm sure you can do it.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:16 PM

I have the same split boot on the valdeez and I think the issue is where you drive the car. You can keep the steering fluid reservoir filled and let is spew into the environment a nominal amount of goo, but the dirt on the rackshaft will cause the seals to die at some point. If you only drive around town having the steering fail could be a nuisance, but on the interstate at 75 mph failure could be a real disaster. Save money fast and fix the steering, then worry about the leak of oil.
Is it possible the leak IS the steering fluid? The splashguard on mine made the oil blow everywhere making diagnosis confusing.The oil was "station-wagoning" back toward the front of the engine, while the leak was over the passenger side wheel.
ps- Valdeez had both an oil leak and a steering leak.