Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

New Oil Pan Gasket - Slight Distortion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: New Oil Pan Gasket - Slight Distortion?

it might have just been your angle difference from front to back when your looking at the torque wrench...
unless you have the clicker type... and those are pretty innaccurate as it is.
i still have to lean toward overtorqueing, unless you like torqued them in the wrong sequence and pushed the gasket toward the back, but you would have to like go in a circle to do that...

Old 12-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: New Oil Pan Gasket - Slight Distortion?

ORIGINAL: razcob

I used a torque wrench and set the bolts to 10 ft lbs.? Is this incorrect? What doyou recommend I do? I drove the car yesterday for approx. 5 miles and had no leak. Is this short ride too early to tell? By the way, the adhesive spray worked like a charm, I used a piece of cardboard to line the block, so I didn't get any in the engine. The longest/hardest part of the job was scraping off the old gasket from the pan. Are there any time saving methods of removing the old gasket?
10ft lb is the correct torque, but the reason that the gasket squashs out is ,, overtightened or people put sealer on the flat ( long side ) of the pan gasket ,, If it is not leaking i would not worry about it at all. I have seen a # of pan gaskets squashed a bit and do not leak,, keep on eye on it ..

someties the old pan gaskets bakes to the pan, it gets hard and it is a real, real, real PITA to scrape off,, the best way to get it off is to heat it up , this softens the gasket and it comes off easy,, here at work we use a little propane torch , we heat the underside of the pan where the gasket is, where bolts holes are, this softens the gasket and peels right off ,,make sure not to grab the heated gasket trying to remove it with your hand , it will burn,, just use some pliers