Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

oil light

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 12:29 AM
Default oil light

I just changed my oil, put in Amsoil 5w-30 high performance, and Amsoil Ea filter. I was under the impression that the synthetic oil gets flowing faster, at start up, than dino, albeit it hasn't gotten cold enough yet for it to matter. Anyway, the oil light stays on longer after the engine starts, it's not much maybe a half of a second longer than when non-synth or Castrol Syntec oil. I believe the light stays on for a second or a tiny bit less, then for a moment it flickers very slightly and goes out. With previous oils dino and Castrol Syntec the light would go out sooner than with this synthetic. I realize these intervals for which the oil light is on might be too insignificant for it to harm anything, but I wonder if this can be explained. I thought the pressure was supposed to pick up quicker with synthetic oil and not the opposite. I wonder if this has anything to do with it being more difficult to build up pressure with a more fluid liquid. The oil, which I am comparing the duration of the light to, was 10w-30, if it even matters.

[sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 11-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Default RE: oil light

You've got a terrific oil in the car, I don't think the flickering light is a cause for concern.