Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Overheating problems in 94 LX

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Default Overheating problems in 94 LX

Hey, what's up guys?
I've recently been having overheating problems with my car.
It hasn't really overheated on me per se, but the temp needle gets dangerously close to the red marker on my dash. Especially when I'm just stopped at a stoplight. As soon as I go, the needle drops to cooling down. What's going on here?

I just replaced my radiator yesterday because it had a huge crack on it along the top rail. I only changed my radiator though. Nothing else. Could something else be the problem? Also, I filled the radiator with 100% anti-freeze. No water. Could that be a problem?

I also had another question, is my overflow/reservoir tank supposed to have anything in it? I asked my friend and he said its used as an overflow tank and NOT a reservoir. He told me when coolant heats up, it expands and thats what the overflow tank is for, to catch the overflow mess. Another one of my buddies tells me that it should have something in it, but I don't know who to honestly turn to, so I go to the Accord family for advice.

THANKS A LOT!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Supper Moderator

Yes your reservoir tank needs to have some fluid in it.

Have you checked your thermostat? Could be your issue. Also you might have some air trapped in the hoses. Bleed your coolant hoses and check your thermostat They are like 12bucks at local auto parts store.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

When the engine heats up, antifreeze moves over into that overflow bottle. But when it cools down, it needs to suck that antifreeze back in. So if there isn't enough in the bottle, it'll suck air back in as it cools down. That's no good, so you need antifreeze in there between the MIN & MAX marks.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:20 AM

Im pretty sure the antifreeze is supposed to be mixed with distilled water. Unless you got the premixed stuff.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, mixed to the proper strength, or buy pre-mixed. My point was that the reservoir bottle isn't ever supposed to be empty.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check that both cooling fans are running when engine is hot and when AC is On. If one or both are off, the overheating at idle is expected.

good luck

Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 AM

Thanks a lot guys. I'll check the hoses and thermostat and see what I come up with.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:05 AM
Default Bleed your System

Make sure you bleed your system as well when or if your going to get a new themostat or new hoses. My car overheated when i did changed my thermostat. Just FYI if your temp needle is gettin near the top just turn the heater on hot and fans on full blast to being the temp down.

Again make sure you bleed your system !!!

Old 02-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

im having the same issue....but my tank isnt empty. no signs of leaking or burning, just changed the oil and well it looks and smell like pure oil. i replaced my thermostat last year and it helped a little but not completely, sometimes if im driving and my heater is completely off, the temp will rise significantly, i turn it on and it goes back down to where its supposed to be....never had an issue though in the summer when you'd think it'd get real hot, only in the winter....weird.