Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Tranny swap?

Old 03-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Default Tranny swap?

hey can anyone help me!? I'm trying to swap my current automatic tranny with a manual tranny but i am not Quite sure which transmissions match up to the motor that I currently have. I don't know much about it except that it is a 1990 Accord with a non V-tech 2.2ltr Please help me out with this problem guys theres a tranny i am eyeballing on ebay!

Old 03-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Default RE: Tranny swap?

a manual tranny from the same year and trim should bolt up to the motor.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:04 PM

Oh yeah thats awesome! do you know of any specific part number or anything like that? I was kind of hoping also to find out how your turbos working? What kind of times do you put up now? i read the posts from when you installed it and it sounded like fun? What do you think your total expence was? Or for the expence matter-- how much a manual tranny should cost for a 90 accord?

Old 03-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you should be able to get a tranny for about 300. but the labor and parts needed to make it a manual will probably be thousands

Old 04-03-2006, 07:28 PM

Now I don't want to hijack this thread.. it's somewhat related...

I am currently starting the same project. I beleive I snapped my crank or flywheel bolts sheered.. so I am rebuilding the lower end of my JDM motor with a new crank and tearing the automatic out .

I am buying the manual trans, shifter, linkages, mastercylinder +pedal, and M/T rear engine mount off a buddy with a parts car for 200 bucks.

I know the manual trans swaps over because many do it with their VTech swaps. The only question I have is since alot of them go with the H22 computers and all that they don't have a problem..

What I am wondering is, Do I have to use the computer from the car with M/T? or can I just leave the A/T computer in there disconnected and be good? Also, do the CVs from an automatic work with the M/T? I am not sure if they are different lengths, I'll have to check. It sucks because I just installed brand new CVs for my automatic. oh well.

I'll keep you updated, I will prob make a seperate post.

Brendan.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you can keep your current ecu, you just have to change a few wires and all the computer will do is send a bunch of dead signals because it cant shift anymore otherwise in a previous thread theres a complete transmission swap for auto to manual for the 6th gen that should should give you all the answers you need, in theory ^_^

Old 04-03-2006, 11:31 PM

Thanks Marbro.

Also, to answer my own question, by the looks of parts websites, it appears that the right side CV is the same length from auto to manual cars, it's just he left(drivers) CV that is a different length.

B.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:44 PM

Sorry i didn't write back sooner, new_oldHondaOwner. Turbo is working great. I don't have real numbers yet as I haven't had the chance to take it to the drag strip yet. Hopefully this week if the injectors I get off ebay don't freakin suck like the last ones I got. It's quick though! I've also been meaning to get some video up here, just haven't gotten to editing yet! It cost maybe $1500 for the stuff and it actually was pretty fun installing it. I was just constrained for time at certain points since I had school and stuff the following day, so I'd have to put things down and do something else. But all together it only took about a day to install.

Good luck with the swap if you decide to go through with it! It'll be a ton of work, but more power to you if you go through with it!