Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

trans problem

Old 03-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: trans problem

and a clutch drum? what the hell is that? that must be like blinker fluid or something. i guess he meant the torque converter? well there was probably nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:28 PM

something tells me you don't have a clutch drum... check out this example... it's used on small engines for a centrifical (sp) style of clutch... not for a car

http://www.smallenginebusiness.com/M...gory_Code=80-8

Old 03-13-2006, 03:00 PM

Lightshow, you said that you can get a tranny for $750-$1000 right? First, who or what is LKQ? Secondly, what would you look for in a rebuilt tranny?, things to avoid? I'm looking into some options for my car (2000 LX Coupe V6), just due to the fact that it seems like the weakest link in these models is the transmission. The only problem that I have (knocking on wood as we speak) is when I place the car in reverse and let up off the brake, sometimes there is a 'chunk' or 'thud' sound. It's almost like the gear is 'catching up'. I'm not sure, and I haven't really begun to investigate, but thought that a less milage tranny (mine has 102k) might have a better chance in the long-run. Maybe not though, I could be picking up somebodys problems.

Thanks for any guidance,

Steve

Old 03-13-2006, 03:28 PM

steve how long have you owned the car? and how well do you maintain the tranny? used trannys are a risk. lkq is a nationwide junkyard, and they put a 6 month warranty on all their parts. my ex's 3.0 cl has the same tranny as yours and its got about 140k on it. it couldnt possibly be any smoother. the fluid is changed every 15 with atf z1. the tranny isnt a weak link, ****ty *** owners are the weak link

Old 03-14-2006, 05:09 PM

I've had the car all of 4 months. I'm trying to get as much information before I delve under the hood, just so that I kind of know what I'm doing. I really don't drive the car very hard (it's an auto by the way), so I'm trying to take care of it as long as possible. I used to own a 1990 Toyota Tercel (bought it new), so this is quite an improvement. I'm assembling tools and parts to do specific maintenance to the car, I just haven't had enough time yet.

I think that these are great cars, and can run forever with good upkeep, hence, that's why I'm inquiring. My statement about the tranny was mainly made only because I had previously been looking at getting a TL/CL of the same year, and had been reading about their transmissions having issues after 100K. I didn't know they were the same kind.

Basically I'm wanting to know the best way to figure out the problem before it gets worse, and what other options I have. I'm pretty sure you can't buy a new tranny, and as far as finding a refurbished one - I have no clue of knowing what I'm getting. Having mine rebuilt may be an option, but where I live (Saint Petersburg, FL) there seems to be few 'tuner' places. Not to say they are the only ones who can do the job, but I'm not savvy when it comes to locating those kinds of places.

Anyways, thanks for letting me know some of the 'ins & outs' about these issues.

If there is anything else you can think of that I can do, or answers I can give, just let me know.

StevePhy

Old 03-14-2006, 07:24 PM

you can check the status of your tranny by looking at the fluid. and just in general change it out right now. a drain and refill needs just under 3 quarts. if you see metal or brown fluid or it smells burnt then your tranny is heading out. the real problem is that there is alot of heat occuring in your tranny so it breaks down the fluid faster than what would normally happen in some other trannies. you have to consider that maybe this design was done on purpose. make the cars that arnt maintained have problems that cost so much......that it's more cost effiective to just send it to the junkyard. the world is just left with the ones that were taken care of, and that look good. those are the cars that are wanted on the road cause they contribute to brand image. there are already so many old hondas on the road that look like **** because they just wont die. mercedes is like that. if you dont maintain it, it will cost 5 times more to fix it than its even worth

Old 03-18-2006, 02:35 AM
mycargov6room
Unregistered

Honda extended their warranty for transmission for 00-01 accords. it's 7yrs/100k.