Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Transmission Problems - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:17 PM
WeeAsp
Unregistered
Default Transmission Problems - HELP!

Hi all!

First, I am new to this forum. So, I look forward to any assistance you might be able to provide.

My fiancee' has a 2004 Accord with the 4 cyl. motor in it. Up until about 3 months ago, it was a very reliable car.

Then, a strange syptom/running problem occured.

It is an automatic transmission. When in D4, at 35 MPH around 1800 RPM, the drivetrain shudders.

My initial reaction was that it is the torque converter.

We took it to the local dealership and they confirmed my diagnosis.

The car is just shy of 60K miles. She is a school teacher and commutes about 50 miles per day on the highway. She has performed her regular transmission service every 20K miles with the last one in January of 07.

She did not buy an extended warranty, but we contacted Honda Corporate customer service under the pretense that with regular service, the transmission should not fail.

So, I have 2 questions:

1. It is my understanding that a TSB was issued for Accord transmissions, but it does not specify if this applies to 4 cylinder models. Does this TSB apply in this situation?

2. I've also heard that Honda will replace the transmission as a "good will" gesture. Is this true?

My concern is that the car is out of warranty and only one (1) of the transmission services was performed at the dealer. Is this a problem?

Any experience/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Old 07-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Transmission Problems - HELP!

well, first of all, welcome to the forum and thanxs for joining us... second, i doubt that honda will change ur transmission as a "good will" gesture. transmission changes are kind of expensive, so i would recommend for u to go to ur most trusted mechanic and ask him for an estimate... if it's the torque converter, check for the price of it on ebay (way cheaper than a performance shop, or any other place), and then make the machanic do only the work... shouldn't be more than $200-300 for the work... the torque converter... no idea... i'll check later and give u some estimates... well, good luck!

Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 PM

i havent heard of many tranny problems on the 7th gen...6th gen is another story...you might get them to split some of the cost...its worth the try.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:43 AM

ORIGINAL: KevinAccord
i doubt that honda will change ur transmission as a "good will" gesture. transmission changes are kind of expensive,
Honda goodwills transmissions all the time. Sometimes they pay for it all, sometimes they leave the labor on the customer.

Haveing good service records is a big plus.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:29 PM

When you had the tranny services done did they use a tranny flush machine and aftermarket lube? If so don't use that ever again, stick with ONLY drain and re-fill and ONLY honda ATF and your tranny will last MUCH longer