Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Transmission question going into drive...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Transmission question going into drive...

actually I think thats fairly normal for these transmissions. Small thud then medium thud. i wouldnt worry too much about it.
I have a friend with a '94 and 160k miles on it and it does the same thing as mine with 95k miles on it, mines just a little less severe.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:48 PM

hmm thanks again for the input! I'm going to take it to my mech for sure. I think I can Wed morning. I'm just wondering because my friend has a 95 civic with 169K on it and it goes right into gear. Almost seems like with mine if you put it in drive and stepped on it right away it would slip till that second thud came in and with any gas it might be an ugly second thud! I'm takin it real easy on my baby till I figure it out. Thanks again for your input!!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

I've never seen a Honda that wants you to check the tranny fluid level with it running. That's the procedure for everyone else, Chevy, Ford, etc.

You want the car warmed up, like after you come home from somewhere. Shift up & down thru the gears while holding the brake, put it in PARK, turn it OFF. Maybe leave a minute to allow the fluid to settle, but check the dipstick while it's still hot.
I didn't knew that... [sm=bangbang.gif]... what a shame... i feel so stupid...

Old 06-04-2008, 02:40 PM

Let me guess-- You have an auto tranny? It's normal. Just how the tranny works.

Mine does the exact same. Certain auto hondas are known to have rough shifts.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:20 PM

yea I just talked to a friend of mine who's father has owned Accords I think from the first one ever made! He said it's pretty normal to react that way. I took it for it's first oil change and they said the fluid looked really clean for the trans. I'm still going to take it to my trans guy soon just to have him do a trans service to make sure everything is ok in there and no junk in the pan.

One thing I did notice that my outer CV boot is ripped and throwing grease all over the inside of the rim. I guess I'll have to get this done first. Hopefully that won't be to expensive!